Electric force angles problem

In summary, the problem involves three positively charged particles arranged in an equilateral triangle and asks for the magnitude and direction of the net force on each particle. Using the equation F = KQ_1Q_2/r^2, the magnitude of the force is calculated to be 55.561 N for all three particles. However, the direction of the force for Q2 and Q3 is still unknown and further calculations or a drawing may be needed to determine these angles.
Bensky
Electric force angles problem :(

Homework Statement

Three positive particles of charges 11.0 µC are located at the corners of an equilateral triangle of side d = 14.0 cm (Fig. 16-38). Calculate the magnitude and direction of the net force on each particle.
16-38alt.gif

Fig. 16-38

Homework Equations

F = KQ_1Q_2/r^2

The Attempt at a Solution

F = KQ_1Q_2/r^2
F = (9X10^9)(1.1X10^-5)^2/.14^2
F = 55.561 N for all points - Q1, Q2, and Q3 (correct)

Q1 angle = 90 degrees (correct)
Q2 angle = ?
Q3 angle = ?

I need to find the directional angle for particles Q2 and Q3 - I am unsure how to find these. I was thinking I might have to draw a triangle?

Thanks,
Bensky

Physics news on Phys.org
It's an equilateral triangle.

[tex]\angle Q_1=\angle Q_2=\angle Q_3[/tex]

[tex]\angle Q_1+\angle Q_2+\angle Q_3=180[/tex]

rocomath said:
It's an equilateral triangle.

[tex]\angle Q_1=\angle Q_2=\angle Q_3[/tex]

[tex]\angle Q_1+\angle Q_2+\angle Q_3=180[/tex]

I'm not looking for the interior angles, I'm looking for the angle of direction of force on Q2 and Q3.

1. What is the electric force angle problem?

The electric force angle problem is a physics problem that involves calculating the angle between two charged particles based on their respective electric fields and charges.

2. How do you solve electric force angle problems?

To solve an electric force angle problem, you will need to use the Coulomb's Law equation, which states that the force between two charged particles is equal to the product of their charges divided by the square of the distance between them. You will also need to use trigonometric functions to calculate the angle between the two particles.

3. What are the units of electric force?

The SI unit of electric force is Newtons (N), which is equivalent to kg*m/s^2. In some cases, the unit of electric force can also be expressed as Coulombs (C) times meters per second squared (m/s^2).

4. Can electric force angle problems be applied to real-world situations?

Yes, electric force angle problems can be applied to real-world situations, such as calculating the angle of deflection in a cathode ray tube or determining the trajectory of a charged particle in a magnetic field.

5. How does distance affect electric force angles?

The electric force between two charged particles is inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them. This means that as the distance between two particles increases, the electric force between them decreases. Therefore, the angle between the two particles will also change as the distance between them changes.