Inverse image and continuity

by im2fastfouru
Tags: continuity, image, inverse
Share this thread:
im2fastfouru
Apr1-08, 04:41 PM
P: 6
Any help on this problem would be appreciated

a) Show that (f^-1 S)compliment is equal to f^-1(S compliment) for any set S of reals.

Then use part a) to show The function f is continuous iff f^-1(S) is closed for every closed set S.
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Scientists develop 'electronic nose' for rapid detection of C. diff infection
Why plants in the office make us more productive
Tesla Motors dealing as states play factory poker
sutupidmath
Apr1-08, 07:07 PM
P: 1,633
Quote Quote by im2fastfouru View Post
Any help on this problem would be appreciated

a) Show that (f^-1 S)compliment is equal to f^-1(S compliment) for any set S of reals.

Then use part a) to show The function f is continuous iff f^-1(S) is closed for every closed set S.
Well, i am gonna give a shot, but wait untill some other people answer this as well.

Let

[tex] x\in \bar f^{-1}(S)=>x\notin f^{-1}(S)=>x\in f(S)=>y\in S=>y\notin \bar S=>x\notin f(\bar S)=>x \in f^{-1}(\bar S)[/tex]

SO from here:

[tex]\bar f^{-1}(S)\subseteq f^{-1}(\bar S)[/tex]

I think now you should go the other way around. I am not sure whether my reasoning is correct though. SO let someone else comment on this before you conclude on your answer.
Pere Callahan
Apr1-08, 08:19 PM
P: 587
Quote Quote by sutupidmath View Post
[tex] x\in \bar f^{-1}(S)=>x\notin f^{-1}(S)=>x\in f(S)=>y\in S=>y\notin \bar S=>x\notin f(\bar S)=>x \in f^{-1}(\bar S)[/tex]

Can you explain how you conclude that x must be in f(S) (third step)?

It is helpful to think of the domain and the codomain as different spaces (although here they both happen to be R, I assume).

You start with an x in the domain of f, in the statement I ask you to explain you consider the same x as an element of the codomain. I'm not saying that this can never be correct, but I think here it is not.

Register to reply