Register to reply

Wave equation in curved spacetime

by Pacopag
Tags: curved, equation, spacetime, wave
Share this thread:
Pacopag
Apr7-08, 01:00 PM
P: 198
Does anyone know how to derive the wave equation in curved spacetime?
[tex](-g)^{-1\over 2}\partial_\mu((-g)^{1\over 2}g^{\mu \nu}\partial_\nu \phi) = 0 [/tex]

A reference, or an outline of the derivation would be very helpful. Thanks.
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Bees able to spot which flowers offer best rewards before landing
Classic Lewis Carroll character inspires new ecological model
When cooperation counts: Researchers find sperm benefit from grouping together in mice
Pacopag
Apr7-08, 02:59 PM
P: 198
It seems that just writing the d'Alembertian in covariant form
[tex]\Delta \phi = g^{\mu \nu}\phi_{;\mu \nu}=0[/tex] does the trick.
This form is giving me the results I want, but I still don't know how to put it in the form written in my original post.
shoehorn
Apr7-08, 06:13 PM
P: 448
Given a vector [itex]V^\mu[/itex], can you think of any cute expressions for [itex]\nabla_\mu V^\mu[/itex]? (Hint: you can write the covariant four-divergence of a vector in terms of the coordinate four-divergence much like the expression in the first post.)

Antenna Guy
Apr7-08, 07:37 PM
P: 303
Wave equation in curved spacetime

Quote Quote by shoehorn View Post
Given a vector [itex]V^\mu[/itex], can you think of any cute expressions for [itex]\nabla_\mu V^\mu[/itex]?
Just a guess, but : [itex]\nabla_\mu V^\mu=V^\mu[/itex]?

[addendeum: or is it [itex]\nabla_\mu V^\mu=\frac{\delta V^\mu}{\delta t}[/itex]?]

Regards,

Bill
shoehorn
Apr7-08, 11:01 PM
P: 448
Quote Quote by Antenna Guy View Post
Just a guess, but : [itex]\nabla_\mu V^\mu=V^\mu[/itex]?
Nope. That can't work because the left-hand side is a scalar quantity, while the right-hand side is a vector.

Quote Quote by Antenna Guy
[addendeum: or is it [itex]\nabla_\mu V^\mu=\frac{\delta V^\mu}{\delta t}[/itex]?]

Regards,

Bill
Not this either. Perhaps it will be simpler if I just state the result and leave the proof as an exercise. Given an orientable Riemannian manifold [itex](M,g)[/itex], one has a preferred idea of a connection in the form of the Levi-Civita connection. This allows one to define, for example, a straightforward notion of covariant differentiation on tensor fields over [itex]M[/itex]. The relationship between the covariant divergence of a vector and the partial derivative of the vector is given by

[tex]\nabla_\mu V^\mu = \frac{1}{\sqrt{\textrm{det}g_{\rho\sigma}}}\partial_\mu(\sqrt{\textrm{d et}g_{\rho\sigma}}V^\mu)[/tex]

Register to reply