Determining the Index of Refraction

In summary, the frequency of blue light is 4.62*10^{14} Hz, the frequency of red light is 6.67*10^{14} Hz, and the index of refraction of a material in which the red-light wavelength is 450 nm is c/v.
cse63146

Homework Statement

PART A) What is the frequency of blue light that has a wavelength of 450 nm?

PART B) What is the frequency of red light that has a wavelength of 650 nm?

PART C) What is the index of refraction of a material in which the red-light wavelength is 450 nm?

Homework Equations

[tex]v = f \lambda[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

PART A

[tex]f = \frac{v}{\lambda} = \frac{3*10^8}{450*10^{-9}} = 4.62*10^{14} Hz[/tex]

*CORRECT*

PART B

[tex]f = \frac{v}{\lambda} = \frac{3*10^8}{650*10^{-9}} = 6.67*10^{14} Hz[/tex]

*CORRECT*

PART C

Not sure. Can someone point me in the right direction?

Physics news on Phys.org
I want to help but I'm not sure if this is right. The index if refraction is c/v. Maybe you need to use the frequency you got from part b and determine the new velocity of the red light with the new wavelength? Then divide c by this to get the refraction index?

negatifzeo said:
I want to help but I'm not sure if this is right. The index if refraction is c/v. Maybe you need to use the frequency you got from part b and determine the new velocity of the red light with the new wavelength? Then divide c by this to get the refraction index?

is frequency the same for red light regardless of it's wavelength?

cse63146 said:
is frequency the same for red light regardless of it's wavelength?

Not if it's traveling at the speed of light. But my understanding is that refraction slows down light waves, so you might try using the same frequency you had before to find the new speed. Again, I am a student probably around the same place you are in your studies so I don't know. Thats what I would try though

negatifzeo is correct. The frequency of the light doesn't change. Only the velocity and hence the wavelength.

Yep, you were correct. I multiplyed the frequncy I got from Part B by the 450 nm to get v, then I just divided it c by it to get the index of redraction.

Thank you.

1. What is the index of refraction?

The index of refraction is a measure of how much a material can bend or refract light. It is the ratio of the speed of light in a vacuum to its speed in a specific material.

2. How is the index of refraction determined?

The index of refraction can be determined using a variety of methods, including Snell's law, which relates the angles of incidence and refraction of a light ray as it passes through a boundary between two materials. Other methods include measuring the critical angle at which total internal reflection occurs and using spectroscopy to analyze the wavelengths of light that are absorbed and transmitted by a material.

3. What factors affect the index of refraction?

The index of refraction is affected by the type of material, its density, temperature, and the wavelength of light passing through it. In general, materials with a higher density and slower speed of light, such as glass and water, have a higher index of refraction.

4. Why is the index of refraction important?

The index of refraction is important in understanding how light behaves and interacts with different materials. It is also used in various applications, such as designing lenses for glasses and cameras, fiber optics telecommunications, and determining the purity of a substance through refractometry.

5. Can the index of refraction be negative?

Yes, certain materials, such as metamaterials, can have a negative index of refraction. This means that light passing through the material will bend in the opposite direction as it would in a traditional material. This phenomenon has led to the development of technologies like invisibility cloaks and superlenses.