TI-89 Get a normal decimal answer...

by HolyPeanuts
Tags: decimal, normal, ti89
HolyPeanuts
Apr11-08, 03:20 PM
P: 3
Hello!

I was hoping that someone would be able to assist me...

I have a TI-89 and am trying to get a normal decimal answer for a trig problem...

EX:

I do something like:
18/sin(95)*sin(37)

If i press the green diamond key and then press enter I get 1.E1...

If i do the same thing in another calc i get a normal decimal answer which should be ~11...

Is there anyway i can get "normal" decimal answers with the TI-89?

Thanks!
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Going nuts? Turkey looks to pistachios to heat new eco-city
Space-tested fluid flow concept advances infectious disease diagnoses
SpaceX launches supplies to space station (Update)
Mk
Apr13-08, 01:34 PM
P: 2,057
It sounds like your settings under MODE are set different.

Press mode, go down to exponential format, then press right, and then select normal and press enter twice.
HolyPeanuts
Apr13-08, 03:35 PM
Exponential Format is set to Normal & its doing the same thing when i press:

<Diamond> [Enter]

I would really like to get something like: 10.4934241; just a normal decimal answer :)

Nabeshin
Apr13-08, 11:29 PM
Sci Advisor
P: 2,194

TI-89 Get a normal decimal answer...

Uhh yeah... This sounds like your display setting for numbers is wrong. I forget what it's called right now but it's that menu that has like 1200 options under mode... like REAL0 REAL1 REAL2 REAL3 REAL4 and stuff like that. That needs to be changed lol.
Mk
Apr14-08, 12:50 AM
P: 2,057
Try this: Go back to MODE, change your Display Digits settings to Float 6. Press enter twice.
Alienjoey
Apr14-08, 02:30 PM
P: 41
I'm not exactly sure how you're getting the answers that you are getting, but...

If you go to mode and choose approximate in "Exact/Approx", you will get decimal answers, but they should match up with the answers you would get by doing diamond + enter or putting a decimal point into the problem [ie. 18/sin(95)*sin(37.)], which is another method to get decimal answers.

Is it possible that you are forgetting parentheses surrounding the entire denominator? The reason I ask is because I'm not getting answers anywhere near yours for that problem, whether I use radians, degrees, put sin(37) in the denominator, or even assuming that you are multiplying the rest of the function by sin(37)...In any case, good luck! -- I'm sure it's just a computational (or pushing buttons) error.
HolyPeanuts
Apr14-08, 09:47 PM
Quote Quote by Mk View Post
Try this: Go back to MODE, change your Display Digits settings to Float 6. Press enter twice.
That did the trick! Thanks!

Register to reply