TI-89 Get a normal decimal answer

• Calculators
  • Thread starter HolyPeanuts
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Normal Ti-89
In summary, if you go to MODE and change your Display Digits to Float 6, you will get decimal answers that match up with the answers you would get by doing diamond + enter or putting a decimal point into the problem.
HolyPeanuts
Hello!

I was hoping that someone would be able to assist me...

I have a TI-89 and am trying to get a normal decimal answer for a trig problem...

EX:

I do something like:
18/sin(95)*sin(37)

If i press the green diamond key and then press enter I get 1.E1...

If i do the same thing in another calc i get a normal decimal answer which should be ~11...

Is there anyway i can get "normal" decimal answers with the TI-89?

Thanks!

Computer science news on Phys.org
It sounds like your settings under MODE are set different.

Press mode, go down to exponential format, then press right, and then select normal and press enter twice.

Exponential Format is set to Normal & its doing the same thing when i press:

<Diamond> [Enter]

I would really like to get something like: 10.4934241; just a normal decimal answer :)

Uhh yeah... This sounds like your display setting for numbers is wrong. I forget what it's called right now but it's that menu that has like 1200 options under mode... like REAL0 REAL1 REAL2 REAL3 REAL4 and stuff like that. That needs to be changed lol.

Try this: Go back to MODE, change your Display Digits settings to Float 6. Press enter twice.

I'm not exactly sure how you're getting the answers that you are getting, but...

If you go to mode and choose approximate in "Exact/Approx", you will get decimal answers, but they should match up with the answers you would get by doing diamond + enter or putting a decimal point into the problem [ie. 18/sin(95)*sin(37.)], which is another method to get decimal answers.

Is it possible that you are forgetting parentheses surrounding the entire denominator? The reason I ask is because I'm not getting answers anywhere near yours for that problem, whether I use radians, degrees, put sin(37) in the denominator, or even assuming that you are multiplying the rest of the function by sin(37)...In any case, good luck! -- I'm sure it's just a computational (or pushing buttons) error.

Mk said:
Try this: Go back to MODE, change your Display Digits settings to Float 6. Press enter twice.

That did the trick! Thanks!

What is a TI-89 calculator?

A TI-89 calculator is a scientific graphing calculator manufactured by Texas Instruments. It is commonly used in high school and college mathematics and science courses.

How do I use the TI-89 to get a normal decimal answer?

To get a normal decimal answer on a TI-89 calculator, you can use the "approx" function. Simply type in the expression or equation you want to evaluate, then press the "approx" button followed by the "enter" key. This will give you a decimal approximation of the answer.

What is a normal decimal answer on a TI-89?

A normal decimal answer on a TI-89 is a numerical approximation of a solution to an equation or expression. It is typically a long decimal number that is rounded to a certain number of digits.

Can I change the number of digits in a normal decimal answer on a TI-89?

Yes, you can change the number of digits in a normal decimal answer on a TI-89 by adjusting the "display digits" setting. To do this, press the "mode" button, then select "MathPrint". From there, you can choose the number of digits you want to display.

Is there a way to get an exact answer on a TI-89 instead of a decimal approximation?

Yes, there is a way to get an exact answer on a TI-89 calculator. You can use the "exact" function, which is represented by the symbol "=". This will give you the exact answer in terms of variables and fractions instead of a decimal approximation. However, not all equations or expressions can be solved exactly using this method.