no 6 85.71%
Voters: 7. You may not vote on this poll

would it work: mosquito killer

by tgkprog
Tags: killer, mosquito, work
tgkprog
Apr13-08, 12:34 PM
P: 12
what do u think of the idea : a device that has 2 cushions backed by some plastic that claps every few seconds ... and hopefully kills mosquitoes in time, when they randomly fly in the clap range.

the cushions are so the device does not make noise.

a better model would change its position and a top end would have a sensor to sense moquitoes and clap only when they are near.

i dont have actual design but it would be a neat product
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Going nuts? Turkey looks to pistachios to heat new eco-city
Space-tested fluid flow concept advances infectious disease diagnoses
SpaceX launches supplies to space station (Update)
russ_watters
Apr13-08, 02:43 PM
Mentor
P: 22,000
Is the device randomly clapping? Not sure how frequently a mesquito might fly into it, but perhaps a device that might sense visually that a mesquito flew into it before snapping shut? Not sure if that would be an easy thing to sense, though.
Danger
Apr13-08, 05:50 PM
PF Gold
P: 8,961
I rather doubt the practicality, but it could be a fun device to have kicking around at picnics. You might increase your odds by rigging a cylinder to release minute amounts of carbon dioxide between the paddles.

Qaiphyx
Apr14-08, 01:38 AM
P: 88

would it work: mosquito killer

Lol, youd be better of getting a material they can peirce through wrap it over the top of a container filled with poison, then heat the wrapped material to a specific degree that they are mostly attracted to and set it out, theyd all zoom to it thinking it was of animal sort and try to get blood... dead. Or you could buy a zapper :P
arunbg
Apr14-08, 02:19 AM
P: 602
Great idea, clapping robots with image processing are sure to replace insecticides in the next decade or so
Do they chase mosquitoes by flying around the room as well? We could have a pack of robotic drones hunting in teams for effective clapping results.
Mech_Engineer
Apr14-08, 02:05 PM
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 2,234
Quote Quote by Qaiphyx View Post
...Or you could buy a zapper...
I have a bug zapper that seems to be quite effective, it has a spot for a cartridge on the bottom of it that takes some sort of nondescript "mosquito attractant." Whatever is in that attractant, it seems to work because I have seen the zapper kill skeeters by the hundreds (maybe even thousands?) in a given night.

I can't imagine a "clapper" that slams shut would be particurally effective unless somehow paired with some sort of attractor like has been mentioned; I do imagine I would find it somewhat less entertaining than a zapper though
tgkprog
Apr30-08, 04:10 AM
can u tell me what brand of zapper u use? and do u know iof they are effective against mosquitoes? i live in India - we have a few sprays here - not very good and stink up the place. we do have these electric liquid things that slow burn but they to are less effective after a few days and there are reports that they are not 100% safe for humans ....
tgkprog
Apr30-08, 04:11 AM
Thank u for all ur responses
tgkprog
Apr30-08, 04:12 AM
randomly clap - i thought that will have to be experimented with - random/ cycles / with a mosquito attracting odour ... if its safe
Spherical
May31-08, 03:40 PM
P: 7
I don't think the clapper is too practical.

My experience with a mosquito/fly killer in Taiwan is a container with a brightly lit luminescent lamp in the middle, surrounded by a metal mesh of high voltage electricity (which is then surrounded by an interlocking grid for safety measures.)
You place the container in a room, turn off all the lights, and the insects would be attracted towards the bright light. They are small enough to pass through the safety grid, but are electrified to dust just as they approach the lamp by the electrified wires around it. That's pretty much it. Every household pretty much has one.

Or, if you want to get more high-tech, perhaps you can, in addition to the central vertical lamp, install a pheromone/hormone attractant targeted to a specific type of pest, so it'll also work in daylight?
Danger
Jun2-08, 06:33 PM
PF Gold
One thing to keep in mind is that solid paddles might not work at all. The reason that flyswatters have holes in them is to prevent the compression wave from blowing the bug out of the way before it gets hit.
tgkprog
Jun3-08, 02:54 AM
brightly lit luminescent lamp in the middle, surrounded by a metal mesh of high voltage electricity

does not work for mosquitoes. future gens get the idea.

flyswatters have holes in them

yeah this is a good point, thank you. now to look for someone to build a prototype!
Danger
Jun4-08, 09:58 AM
PF Gold
Quote Quote by tgkprog View Post
now to look for someone to build a prototype!
Uh, uh, dude; you thought it up, you build it.
To save unnecessary parts and complexity, you might as well just have one fixed component that the other claps against. There's no reason to have both moving.
tgkprog
Jun4-08, 10:31 AM
hmm yes thats an idea - or 2 - only 1 moving and do it my self great

Maybe can start with a fly swartter attached to paddle, so easy to replace if it breaks but it will have to be fast. i wonder if it was attached to a rigged juice mixer motor and allowed to rotate - at one point there by a stationary paddle that it hits and then bends and completes a circle - easier than making a motor that has to move in opposite directions
chemisttree
Jul1-08, 11:07 AM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
PF Gold
P: 3,725
Quote Quote by Mech_Engineer View Post
I have a bug zapper that seems to be quite effective, it has a spot for a cartridge on the bottom of it that takes some sort of nondescript "mosquito attractant." Whatever is in that attractant, it seems to work because I have seen the zapper kill skeeters by the hundreds (maybe even thousands?) in a given night.
FYI. 1-octene-3-ol is the most likely attractant.
tgkprog
Jul1-08, 11:35 AM
ty about 1-octene-3-ol
i wanted to make a safe for environment product instead of some spray but it might need this to attact them

fyi i'm looking for someone to build this ... am not good with building stuff. hopefully will find someone have told a hardware guy who repairs my comps about it and he said he will get back to me

Register to reply