Help With Physics Homework Please I'm Desperate

In summary, the conversation discusses two problems - one involving an onion rolling down an inclined ramp and the other involving astronauts rotating a rope while spacewalking. The first problem requires the use of the formula 1/2(I)(final angular velocity)^2, but the person is having trouble finding the final angular velocity. In the second problem, the person has no idea what to do. However, they are advised to learn the relation between rotational and linear velocity, which is v=r*omega. The conversation ends with the person thanking the other for their help and stating that they will not let one bad teacher ruin their academic career.
luvtodance151

Homework Statement

I am having trouble with two problems.

1. An onion grown in 1994 had a record breaking mass of 5.55 kg. Assume that this onion can approximated by a uniform, solid sphere. Suppose the onion rolled down the inclined ramp that had a height of 1.40 m. What was the onion's rotational kinetic energy? Assume that there was no slippage between the ramp and the onion's surface.

2. The longest spacewalk by a team of astronauts lasted more than 8 h. It was performed in 1992 by 3 crew members from the space shutttle Endeavour. Suppose that during the walk 2 astronauts with equal masses held the opposite ends of a rope that was 10 m long. From the point of view of the 3rd astronaut, te other 2 astronauts rotated about the midpoint of the rope with an angular speed of 1.26 rad/s^2. If the astronauts shortened the rope equally from both ends, what was their angular speed when the rope was 4 m long?

Homework Equations

1. I know that the formula to use is 1/2(I)(final angular velocity)^2

2. I have no idea what to do here

The Attempt at a Solution

1. I'm having problems finding the final angular velocity because I don't have a time.

2. Once again, no idea what to do.

Physics news on Phys.org
Let's just do 1) first, ok? When you reach the bottom of the ramp you know the total kinetic energy from mgh, right? Part of it is rotational and part is linear. But since you know there is no slipping, you know the relation between the rotational velocity and the linear velocity, don't you? Equate the sum to mgh.

Nope we didn't learn the relation between the rotational velocity and linear velocity. Sorry our teacher is really bad and doesn't teach us anything...

If you have a bad teacher, you have to learn to survive it by doing work on your own. You can't let one bad teacher doom your career. v=r*omega. That's usually the formula giving velocity at the rim of a rotating hoop with a stationary center. Draw a picture and figure out why it also works to relate the velocity of center to angular rate of rotation when there is no sliding.

Thanks for the help, I think I've got it now.
And trust me, I'm not letting one bad teacher ruin my career. I've survived the whole year so far. And most of the time I end up helping other people in my class, not to mention I have one of the few A's in the class. So I think I've done pretty well considering the circumstances.

What are the basic concepts in Physics?

Some basic concepts in Physics include motion, forces, energy, electricity, and magnetism. These concepts form the foundation of understanding how the physical world works.

Why do students struggle with Physics homework?

Students may struggle with Physics homework because it requires strong analytical and mathematical skills, as well as a thorough understanding of the concepts. Additionally, some students may find certain topics in Physics more challenging than others.

What are some tips for understanding Physics concepts?

Some tips for understanding Physics concepts include practicing problem-solving regularly, breaking down complex concepts into smaller parts, and seeking help from teachers or tutors when needed. It is also helpful to make connections between different concepts to see how they are related.

How can I improve my Physics homework grades?

To improve your Physics homework grades, it is important to stay organized and manage your time effectively. Make sure to attend class regularly and take thorough notes. Additionally, practice regularly and seek help when needed. It may also be helpful to review past assignments and tests to identify areas for improvement.

Are there any online resources for help with Physics homework?

Yes, there are many online resources available for help with Physics homework. Some popular options include Khan Academy, Physics Classroom, and Physics Forums. Additionally, many textbooks have online resources such as practice problems and solutions. It is important to use these resources as a supplement to class instruction, not as a replacement.