Is there a solution to this integral? -exp(-a*abs(x))*exp(i*(k0-k)*x)*dx

In summary, the conversation is about solving the integral \int exp(-a*abs(x))*exp(i*(k0-k)*x)*dx from -infinity to infinity. The participants are discussing different techniques and solutions, including splitting the integral into two parts and using trig identities and Euler's relation. They also mention the variable b = k0 - k and the importance of considering the absolute value when using certain approaches.
quasar_4
Hi everyone. Maple and I have collectively racked our brains and I've tried most of the integration techniques I know. Does anyone know the solution to the integral

[tex]\int[/tex] exp(-a*abs(x))*exp(i*(k0-k)*x)*dx

from -infinity to infinity (not sure how to get the limits over the integral sign here in this text box)?

There might be a good change of variables, but my brain is now too fried to think of it. Or does this baby just not have a nice solution? anyone?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Not me :O)

What? That's trivial if you just split the integral into two parts, one part from -infinity to zero and the other from 0 to infinity as it let's you get rid of the annoying abs(x).

I got [tex] \frac{1}{a-bi} + \frac{1}{a+bi} = \frac{2a}{a^2+b^2}[/tex]

BTW. [tex]b = k_0 - k[/tex] in my solution.

Last edited:
Haha, yes, I realized that once I got home and felt REALLY dumb for posting the previous msg. I think in fact you can use trig identities and Euler's relation as well to split into a sin and cos part, then the sin drops out (since it's over a symmetric interval) and you can take twice the integral of the cos part from 0-infinity. That hadn't worked at the time, but it turns out I was being brain-dead and forgetting to drop my abs. Duh! That's what I get for doing homework on 2 hours of sleep... :rofl:

1. What is an analytic solution?

An analytic solution is a mathematical expression or equation that provides a precise solution to a problem, typically in the form of a closed-form formula. It allows for the direct calculation of the desired quantity without the need for approximation or numerical methods.

2. When is an analytic solution necessary?

An analytic solution is necessary when dealing with a problem that can be described by a set of known equations and initial conditions. It is particularly useful in situations where an exact solution is needed, such as in theoretical physics or engineering.

3. How is an analytic solution different from a numerical solution?

An analytic solution is a closed-form expression that provides an exact solution to a problem, while a numerical solution involves using numerical methods to approximate the solution. Analytic solutions are often preferred as they are more precise and do not require iterations or computational power.

4. What types of problems can be solved using analytic solutions?

Analytic solutions can be used to solve a wide range of problems in various fields such as mathematics, physics, engineering, and economics. These include differential equations, optimization problems, and statistical models, among others.

5. Are there any limitations to using analytic solutions?

While analytic solutions are powerful tools for solving problems, they are not always possible to obtain. In some cases, the complexity of the problem or lack of known equations may make it difficult to find an analytic solution. In these cases, numerical methods may be used instead.