Register to reply

Need help converting battery clock to DC

by grime
Tags: battery, clock, converting
Share this thread:
grime
Apr27-08, 04:17 PM
P: 3
I have a clock that eats up the batteries it runs on pretty quickly, and so I would like to convert it to run on DC power.

The clock has a total of 2 D batteries, 1 in each "foot" of the clock (they are separate). There is a white wire that starts at the + side of one battery, goes over to the + side of the other battery, then into the motor. There are 2 black wires that connect to each - side of each battery and then into the motor. The 2 black wires do not connect to one another (unless it is inside the motor assembly).

Can anyone assist in getting me started?

Thanks in advance.
Phys.Org News Partner Engineering news on Phys.org
Tiny UAVs and hummingbirds are put to test
Britain to trial driverless cars from 2015
NIST corrosion lab tests suggest need for underground gas tank retrofits
russ_watters
Apr27-08, 04:51 PM
Mentor
P: 22,243
Batteries are DC. You mean you want to use an AC to DC power source?

It sounds like the batteries are in parallel, but it is tough to know without tracing out the black wires. But once you do figure that out, you can get a power supply at Radio Shack to provide the needed 1.5V or 3V power.

Welcome to PF.
grime
Apr27-08, 05:49 PM
Thanks for the quick reply, Russ.

So if it's parallel, I need 1.5V, correct? Does the amperage of the power supply matter at all?

TVP45
Apr27-08, 06:12 PM
P: 1,127
Need help converting battery clock to DC

So, take one battery out and see if it still runs OK. If the batteries are in parallel, it's just for longer-lasting battery life.
HarryZhe
Apr27-08, 06:54 PM
P: 8
Id like to see the answer to this as well, as I'm considering setting up an instrument to take energy sources toggle-able between its native batteries and a modded 240 adaptor.
grime
Apr27-08, 06:56 PM
It seems to run fine on 1 battery, so it looks like they are in parallel.
russ_watters
Apr27-08, 08:53 PM
Mentor
P: 22,243
Quote Quote by TVP45 View Post
So, take one battery out and see if it still runs OK. If the batteries are in parallel, it's just for longer-lasting battery life.
Duh, I should have thought of that.
JGM_14
Apr28-08, 10:39 AM
P: 158
Quote Quote by grime View Post
Does the amperage of the power supply matter at all?
Yes, typically D cell batteries supply higher amperage and amp hours (battery life). If it runs fine on AAA batteries or smaller then amperage is not a problem but it sounds like a higher amperage clock, 1 amp should be enough.
HarryZhe
Apr28-08, 06:13 PM
P: 8
Quote Quote by JGM_14 View Post
Yes, typically D cell batteries supply higher amperage and amp hours (battery life). If it runs fine on AAA batteries or smaller then amperage is not a problem but it sounds like a higher amperage clock, 1 amp should be enough.
Im not meaning to hijack your thread here but seeing as this guy seems to know what he's talking about and only one guy's posted help in my thread, how would this work out for 4xAA in series?

Register to reply