Photo voltaic cell Vs. solar heating panel

by oprfot
Tags: cell, heating, panel, photo, solar, voltaic
Share this thread:
oprfot
Apr29-08, 01:23 PM
P: 2
1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

i've been asked to compare the efficiency of a photo voltaic cell and a solar heating cell (an array of pipes). both will be exposed to a 150W bulb for an equal amount of time.

2. Relevant equations

for photo cell: P=IV

for heating panel: P=fcT f=flow rate c=specific heat capacity T=change in temp

3. The attempt at a solution

im trying to say that both will have the same surface area exposed to the light, i was just wondering what measurement to use for the pipes: the surface area of the pipes that is exposed, or the area of the whole panel??

any other suggestions would be welcome :D
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Scientists develop 'electronic nose' for rapid detection of C. diff infection
Why plants in the office make us more productive
Tesla Motors dealing as states play factory poker
mgb_phys
Apr29-08, 01:37 PM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
P: 8,953
I wouldn't worry about the actual surface area of the pipe. You are comparing a practical installation so the only consideration is the total floor (or roof!) area available for installation.

Using a tugsten light bulb isn't a good model for the sun, it lacks the shorter wavelength blue and UV light that the solar panel is sensitive to.
Can't you put both outside at the same time pointing in the same direction?
That would also allow you to compare their relative efficency at best - sun pointing directly at them, vs worst - sun on horizon.
oprfot
Apr29-08, 01:45 PM
P: 2
yeah, i guess youre right, if im comparing the panels i should just use the area.

we've been told to use a lightbulb, i know the actual sun would deliver a more useful result, but the bulb is what we're given.

now that im thinking about it, im not quite sure what to use as the independent variable. would the different panels be enough?

Register to reply