Register to reply

3 space and 1 time

by K S Mallesh
Tags: space, time
Share this thread:
K S Mallesh
May5-08, 03:11 PM
P: 4
I often feel think that the three-dimensional space and the one-dimensional time can be viewed as arising due to a basic spinorial structure. I am drawing an analogy with the triplet and singlet states which arise when two spin 1/2 are added. Can we say that space and time basically arise from the coupling of two spinorial structures, the triplet combination giving the 3-d space and the singlet combination giving the 1-dimensional time?

Please bear with me if my observation looks very crazy.
Phys.Org News Partner Physics news on Phys.org
Detecting neutrinos, physicists look into the heart of the Sun
Measurement at Big Bang conditions confirms lithium problem
Researchers study gallium to design adjustable electronic components
lbrits
May5-08, 03:45 PM
P: 410
There is a relationship between spacetime and spinors, but it isn't the one that you think (although I will ponder upon it).

You can assign to every 4-vector satisfying [tex]v^2 = 1[/tex] a 2x2 special unitary matrix satisfying [tex]\det u = 1[/tex], etc. Now SU(2) matrices transform as two copies of SU(2), whereas spinors transform as one copy. So it is often said that spinors are "square roots" of vectors.

There's a related construction for null vectors and this goes by the name of twistors.
vkroom
May5-08, 05:57 PM
P: 27
the basic space time group : Lorentz group can be decomposed into SU(2)XSU(2). So you see all inertial frames are basically connected by a bispinor structure...

Register to reply