Register to reply

Manifolds in hilbert space?

by Cincinnatus
Tags: hilbert, manifolds, space
Share this thread:
Cincinnatus
May8-08, 04:35 PM
P: 395
Can you define a space that is locally homeomorphic to an infinite dimensional Hilbert space analogously to how you define a (smooth) manifold by an atlas defining local homeomorphisms to R^n?

So the charts would just map to the Hilbert space rather than R^n. Could the rest of the definition be left the same?
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
'Smart material' chin strap harvests energy from chewing
King Richard III died painfully on battlefield
Capturing ancient Maya sites from both a rat's and a 'bat's eye view'
Hurkyl
May8-08, 05:27 PM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 16,091
"Locally homeomorphic to a Hilbert space" is a perfectly well-defined condition. Such objects might not be interesting to study -- e.g. it completely ignores the algebraic structure of Hilbert space. (compare: in the definition of a manifold, R^n is used for its simple geometry, and not for its vector space structure) What is the the intended application?
Cincinnatus
May8-08, 05:38 PM
P: 395
In machine learning, people are interested in taking sets of documents, images or whatever and defining a similarity measure on them (kernel) which gives rise to a metric in the Hilbert space represented by that kernel. I was wondering if the space you get in this way couldn't have more complicated geometric structure.

zhentil
May15-08, 04:48 AM
P: 491
Manifolds in hilbert space?

Someone correct me if I'm rusty, but aren't all separable Hilbert spaces isometric to l2?
mathwonk
May15-08, 01:33 PM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
P: 9,499
the theory of hilbert manifolds and infinite dimensional morse theory is mroe than 40 years old. see richard palais, morse theory on hilbert manifolds, topology 1963, and a 1964 article in BAMS by steven smale.

Register to reply