Register to reply

Manifolds in hilbert space?

by Cincinnatus
Tags: hilbert, manifolds, space
Share this thread:
Cincinnatus
May8-08, 04:35 PM
P: 395
Can you define a space that is locally homeomorphic to an infinite dimensional Hilbert space analogously to how you define a (smooth) manifold by an atlas defining local homeomorphisms to R^n?

So the charts would just map to the Hilbert space rather than R^n. Could the rest of the definition be left the same?
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Apple to unveil 'iWatch' on September 9
NASA deep-space rocket, SLS, to launch in 2018
Study examines 13,000-year-old nanodiamonds from multiple locations across three continents
Hurkyl
May8-08, 05:27 PM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 16,091
"Locally homeomorphic to a Hilbert space" is a perfectly well-defined condition. Such objects might not be interesting to study -- e.g. it completely ignores the algebraic structure of Hilbert space. (compare: in the definition of a manifold, R^n is used for its simple geometry, and not for its vector space structure) What is the the intended application?
Cincinnatus
May8-08, 05:38 PM
P: 395
In machine learning, people are interested in taking sets of documents, images or whatever and defining a similarity measure on them (kernel) which gives rise to a metric in the Hilbert space represented by that kernel. I was wondering if the space you get in this way couldn't have more complicated geometric structure.

zhentil
May15-08, 04:48 AM
P: 491
Manifolds in hilbert space?

Someone correct me if I'm rusty, but aren't all separable Hilbert spaces isometric to l2?
mathwonk
May15-08, 01:33 PM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
P: 9,484
the theory of hilbert manifolds and infinite dimensional morse theory is mroe than 40 years old. see richard palais, morse theory on hilbert manifolds, topology 1963, and a 1964 article in BAMS by steven smale.

Register to reply