How do i calculate change in velocity?

by HelloMotto
Tags: velocity
Share this thread:
HelloMotto
May11-08, 10:05 AM
P: 74
1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
An airplane is flying at 2.00 x 10^2 km/h [S30.0W]. It makes a smooth wide turn and heads east at 2.00 x 10^2 km/h. Find its change in velocity.

2. Relevant equations
v = vf - vi

3. The attempt at a solution

the directions are throwing me off. What do i do after i draw it out? Can you guys tell me the answer plz? so I can make sure I did the question right

thank you if you can help.
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
FIXD tells car drivers via smartphone what is wrong
Team pioneers strategy for creating new materials
Team defines new biodiversity metric
HallsofIvy
May11-08, 10:17 AM
Math
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
Thanks
PF Gold
P: 39,553
No, we cannot tell you the answer. I did write out suggestions as to how to do vector problems in general and then looked at the directions given here!

Initially, the airplane was flying at 200 miles per hour due west It turned around and is flying at 200 miph due east. If you were to write "200 miles per hour due west" as +200 mph, what would "200 miles per hour in the opposite direction" be?
HelloMotto
May11-08, 10:41 AM
P: 74
theres is [S30.0W] and then it turns to east.... how do i calculate with this weird angle in the question?

Redbelly98
May11-08, 11:11 AM
Mentor
P: 12,070
How do i calculate change in velocity?

Quote Quote by HelloMotto View Post
theres is [S30.0W] and then it turns to east.... how do i calculate with this weird angle in the question?
[S30.0W] probably means either 30 degrees south of due west, or 30 degrees west of due south. It must have been explained by your teacher or in your textbook.

Looks like expressing the velocity vectors in terms of components (x and y) will be useful here.

Register to reply