Register to reply

Upper-Level EE Courses

by HD555
Tags: courses, upperlevel
Share this thread:
HD555
May21-08, 06:13 PM
P: 27
Does it matter which upper level course I take next year, when I'm a senior? I'm an EE major. The courses that I have narrowed it down to incude:
  • Digital Communications Theory
  • Analog Circuit Design and Implementation
  • Electro-Optic Theory
  • Digital Systems Design II
  • CMOS VLSI
  • Digital Control Systems

After I graduate, I hope to get a job at a company like Microsoft, Intel, IBM, AMD, etc... would any of these course help me towards getting into that company? I know the exact position would vary upon what job needs to be done, as all of the courses above are important... My question is geared toward which would be the best for a fundamental course? Something to have a good background in...
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Experts defend operational earthquake forecasting, counter critiques
EU urged to convert TV frequencies to mobile broadband
Sierra Nevada freshwater runoff could drop 26 percent by 2100
berkeman
May21-08, 06:25 PM
Mentor
P: 41,113
Quote Quote by HD555 View Post
Does it matter which upper level course I take next year, when I'm a senior? I'm an EE major. The courses that I have narrowed it down to incude:
  • Digital Communications Theory
  • Analog Circuit Design and Implementation
  • Electro-Optic Theory
  • Digital Systems Design II
  • CMOS VLSI
  • Digital Control Systems

After I graduate, I hope to get a job at a company like Microsoft, Intel, IBM, AMD, etc... would any of these course help me towards getting into that company? I know the exact position would vary upon what job needs to be done, as all of the courses above are important... My question is geared toward which would be the best for a fundamental course? Something to have a good background in...

Microsoft is a software company. What field do you want to specialize in?
Asphodel
May21-08, 06:29 PM
P: 451
Optoelectronics is fun...

HD555
May21-08, 06:29 PM
P: 27
Upper-Level EE Courses

Quote Quote by berkeman View Post
Microsoft is a software company. What field do you want to specialize in?
I was hoping to get into their hardware-related products.

As far as specializing, I don't really have a preference. I've always enjoyed communications and signal processing. I might venture into the VLSI world, since I enjoyed my semiconductors course a lot, so that's an option too.

I can tell you what I'm not interested in... these are the fields in its purest sense... as in, I wouldn't mind doing these when it needs to be done, however I don't want to be someone who specializes in it and is the "go to" guy. And they are... control systems, power distribution, power electronics, and thats it I think.

Register to reply