Conserved quantities for geodesics

by Brewer
Tags: conserved, geodesics, quantities
Share this thread:
Brewer
Jun3-08, 01:19 PM
P: 230
1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
In comoving coordinates, a one dimensional expanding flat universe has a metric [tex]ds^2 = -c^2dt^2 + at(t)^2dr^2[/tex]. Derive an expression for a conserved quantity for geodesics in terms of [tex]a, \tau[/tex] and [tex]r[/tex], where [tex]\tau[/tex] is the time measured in the rest frame of the freely falling particle.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
I have the answer to the question in front of me, I just don't follow one of the steps, so I just wondered if anyone could explain it to me.

After writing a Lagrangian as [tex]L = c^2(\frac{dt}{d\tau})^2 - a(t)^2(\frac{dr}{d\tau})^2[/tex]

it can be seen that since r does not appear explicitly that it has something to do with it a constant.

The next line in the answer goes onto say
[tex]\frac{dL}{d\frac{dr}{d\tau}}[/tex] is a constant, but I don't know why this is.

At a guess I would say this is because the [tex]\frac{dL}{dr}[/tex] term in the Euler Lagrange equations is zero (because of the lack of dependence on r), and as such you get [tex]\frac{d}{d\tau}\frac{dL}{d\frac{dr}{d\tau}} = 0[/tex], and so by integrating with respect to [tex]\tau[/tex] you'll get a constant on the right hand side right? Or am I scratching at the wrong tree?

Any help would be appreciated.
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Scientists discover RNA modifications in some unexpected places
Scientists discover tropical tree microbiome in Panama
'Squid skin' metamaterials project yields vivid color display

Register to reply