Trapezium Rule

by nokia8650
Tags: rule, trapezium
Share this thread:
nokia8650
Jun8-08, 02:53 PM
P: 219
I am asked to deduce the shape of a curve by knowing the following:

The estimate of the definite integral for the area using the trapezium rule with 2 intervals of equal widths is above the real value.

The estimate of the definite integral for the area using the trapezium rule with 4 intervals of equal widths is below the real value.

Can anyone help with this problem?

Thanks
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
New type of solar concentrator desn't block the view
Researchers demonstrate ultra low-field nuclear magnetic resonance using Earth's magnetic field
Asian inventions dominate energy storage systems
dynamicsolo
Jun9-08, 11:26 PM
HW Helper
P: 1,662
I believe you mean the Trapezoid Rule. Consider that this method estimates the definite integral for a function by placing points on the curve for f(x) and essentially 'connecting the dots' with straight lines.

You will have a 'dot' at the start of the interval for integration, some dots in between, and one at the end of the interval. So you're looking for a shape for the f(x) curve so that when one dot is added on the curve at the midpoint of the interval, the area of the trapezoids created exceeds the area under the curve. Yet, when dots are also added at the quarter-intervals, the total area of all four trapezoids is now less than the area under the curve.

Try out some curve shapes between the two endpoints and see what might fit this description...

Register to reply