Current dependent on Voltage

by jae05
Tags: current, dependent, voltage
Share this thread:
jae05
Jun9-08, 06:08 AM
P: 18
1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A solar cell has a current–voltage characteristic given by [tex]I=I_0\cos\(\frac{\pi V}{2V_0}\)[/tex] where [tex]I_0[/tex] and [tex]V_0[/tex] are given constants. If the sun shines 12 out of 24 hours what is the maximum energy that can the cell can deliver to a load per year?

2. Relevant equations

[tex]P=IV[/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution

Somehow I get the feeling this is incredibly simple and i'm just missing something. But anyhow, using [tex]P=IV[/tex] I get [tex]P=I_0\cos\(\frac{\pi V}{2V_0}\)V[/tex]. Then taking [tex]\frac{dP}{dV}[/tex] to find a maximum, I get [tex]\tan z = z^{-1}[/tex] where [tex]z=\frac{\pi V}{2V_0}[/tex]. Am I on the right track? Or am I missing something. Thanks!
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Mysterious source of ozone-depleting chemical baffles NASA
Water leads to chemical that gunks up biofuels production
How lizards regenerate their tails: Researchers discover genetic 'recipe'
nicksauce
Jun9-08, 07:03 PM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
P: 1,275
Your approach looks correct.... however the question seems strange. The power can be made arbitrarily high by making the voltage arbitrarily high and keeping the cosine term in phase... so I am confused...
berkeman
Jun9-08, 07:14 PM
Mentor
P: 40,932
Quote Quote by nicksauce View Post
Your approach looks correct.... however the question seems strange. The power can be made arbitrarily high by making the voltage arbitrarily high and keeping the cosine term in phase... so I am confused...
I agree the problem is confusing, but as V increases, I decreases, according to the given equation.

cos(0) = 1, cos(PI/4) = 1/SQRT(2), cos(PI/2) = 0

So you would want to find the angle where you get the greates product P = VI, and use that to calculate what the total cumulative energy is over a year (looks like they are assuming sun-tracking mounts for the solar cells).

Redbelly98
Jun9-08, 08:31 PM
Mentor
P: 12,069
Current dependent on Voltage

We are to assume that the angle of the cell w.r.t. the sun is maintained so that the given i-v characteristic is always true during daylight. The load on the cell can be adjusted in order to get the current and voltage that results in maximum power.

Register to reply