What Calculator do you use?

by Euphoriet
Tags: calculator
Euphoriet
May5-04, 10:26 PM
P: 97
I am looking into buying a new calculator.. and I want to see what some of you guys use ....

Please specify what you use it for and if you consider worth the money you spent, also provide the amount you spent. Thanks.
I am thinking a TI ... any suggestions?

Also is there any really good one that is software base to just install on your computer.. I currently have GraphCalc on here.

Thanks
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Better thermal-imaging lens from waste sulfur
Hackathon team's GoogolPlex gives Siri extra powers
Bright points in Sun's atmosphere mark patterns deep in its interior
enigma
May5-04, 10:57 PM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 1,817
I use a TI-89. I like it because it has a long memory of entries (30 recent actions) and has an easy to use numeric solver.
Euphoriet
May6-04, 12:30 AM
P: 97
Do you think it was worth the cash?

in what field if any do you specialize?

Ebolamonk3y
May6-04, 01:00 AM
P: 204

What Calculator do you use?

Ti89 is my next best thing besides my handy AK47
chroot
May6-04, 01:01 AM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 10,424
I have a TI-89 too. It's really not very expensive, so yeah, it's worth the money. As far as software for a PC, look into Mathematica, MATLAB, and Maple.

- Warren
Ebolamonk3y
May6-04, 01:06 AM
P: 204
For a handy ti89... $150 retail, go to officedeopt online... use coupon code 44503032 and get $20 off and free shipping. :)

Somehow I got mine for $80 brand new... Some coupon stuff.
jimmy p
May6-04, 03:57 AM
PF Gold
P: 580
I got an abacus
Polly
May6-04, 03:59 AM
P: 342
Jimmy you are soooooo funny
Chi Meson
May6-04, 06:41 AM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
P: 1,772
DOes anyone else use an HP "RPN" calculator? They were all the rage in the 80s, and now I can't go back.
Cod
May6-04, 08:05 AM
P: 305
TI-89 is what I use as well.
dduardo
May6-04, 08:30 AM
Emeritus
P: 1,919
I use a ti89, but I also have an hp 32sii which is RPN. The ti89 is capable of integrating, differentiating and solving second-order differential equations. The hp 32sii is a scientific calculator and the only programmable one I know of. It can do numerical integration and can solve equations.

I would recommend both calculators for engineers, physicists and other people that do high level math calculations daily.
Chrono
May6-04, 09:41 AM
P: 439
I still use my trusty TI-83
enigma
May6-04, 10:47 AM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 1,817
Quote Quote by Euphoriet
Do you think it was worth the cash?
Yes.

If I lost it, I'd buy another as soon as I was sure it was gone.

I have used it in every class I've had for the last 4 years.

in what field if any do you specialize?
Aerospace engineering.
ShawnD
May6-04, 11:20 AM
Sci Advisor
P: 988
I use a TI-83+, but I wish I had a TI-89.
My TI-83+ does basically anything I need. It can solve matricies, definite integrals (but gives very wrong answers when crossing over an asymtote), and derivatives. It can graph polar functions as well as single variable non-polar functions. For graphs, it can find the y value for a given x value, find where y = 0, find local minima and maxima, and intersection points. As for stats, it can plot stats, find the best fit line, and display the formula for the best fit line. For best fit line, it can base the formula as being quadratic, cubic, quartic, linear, natural logarithmic, exponential (a*b^x), power (a*x^b), logistic, or sinusoidal.
Overall, it's one hell of a good calculator.

Enigma, does your university really allow programmable calculators? The university around here doesn't allow for those because they can be used for cheating. Programmable calculators like the TI-89 can do indefinite integrations, derivatives, and make 3D graphs. Bring a TI-89 into a test at U of A and it might get taken away.
motai
May6-04, 11:27 AM
P: 496
TI-83 Plus Silver Edition.

It has memory and its fast, but it doesn't have quite the capabilities of a TI-89. Being a student on a budget, I cannot afford to get another graphing calculator anytime soon.
photon
May6-04, 06:06 PM
P: 124
I have Casio 800 something scientific for school. I really like it, but it can't graph. Put the buttons are put in very convenient postions so you can enter long things really quickly. I got it for about 12$.

I agree with Ebolamonk3y: I tried the AK47 and never looked back.
Chrono
May6-04, 09:00 PM
P: 439
Ok, I'm wondering, what does a TI-89 have that a TI-83+ doesn't have, besides extra memory?
RageSk8
May6-04, 09:20 PM
P: 118
http://www.quickmath.com/

I have a ti-83+ but I don't use it ever... Actually, I hardly ever use a calculator. All calculators are banned in my multivariable calc class.

Register to reply