What collapses a wave function?

In summary, the collapse of a wave function is dependent on one's interpretation of quantum mechanics. Any form of interaction, including a photon interacting with a system, can collapse the wave function. The concept of an "observer" is somewhat misleading as any form of measurement or interaction can cause the collapse. Decoherence theory suggests that coupling a detector to a heat bath can result in exponentially decreasing coherence between the detector and the measured system, leading to a quantum/classical transition. The Schrödinger's cat paradox is explained by the fact that decoherence prevents the cat from being in a superposition state. Ultimately, the collapse of a wave function is a result of the interaction between the detector and the measured system, taking
Coldcall said:
The heart of the matter and why modern interpretations try to eject the observer is because if an observer really is required then we live in a somewhat subjective universe in which obsevers play a central role. It would sort of contradict Copernican reasoning.

I think that "to get rid of the observer" would remove from the scientific ideals. There is no need to give up all order and expect random subjectivity just because one takes the observer view as fundamental. It may be a difficulty, but that's for us to solve, and I think this is more than just interpretations.

The story is somewhat similar in relativity. Every measurement is made relative to an observer, a reference frame. Two observers make different observations. But that does not leave us in random ambigouity, instead relativity comes up with relations between the subjective views.

So while there is freedom to choose observer, the relation between any two observers is not random, because after all they can communicate/interact with each other. This is what generates the relations.

I think the story is somewhat similar in the quantum world. So fundamental observer dependnence of observations, does not IMO imply total chaos.

But I still think that the quantum formalism needs revision, and it's more than just reinterpretations. I even think the observer view is the key to explaining many things. A new locality principle seems to naturally come in the sense that any observer bases his action only upon available information (ie. local information) - this can maybe even be taken as a definition of local. About causality, the sensible thing I see emerging is that it's related to locality in that it's the observers information" or lack thereof that determines his way of choosing questions. So I think the causality lies in the way of reasoning and asking questions, rather than one observation causing another. The overall result is that there is an emergent causality at statistical level.

I also think that when reformulating QM, we need to be more careful about intrinsic and extrinsic constructions. Just like the emission spectrum of systems are constrained, the possible questions a given system can ask are constrained. This means that some paradoxes appear when we ask questions that will in fact never be asked simultaneously from the instrinsic point of view.

I think QM needs revision, but the observer view is central. The question to me isn't how to get rid of it, it's what happens when two contradictory views clash - then I think we get interactions! So this is a possibility, not a pure problem as I see it.

/Fredrik

Physics news on Phys.org
Fra,

"I think that "to get rid of the observer" would remove from the scientific ideals"

Yes but that is why other interpretations were theorised. And it's not a coincidence that most of the other interpretations do try to lose the observer as a factor of causation for wave collapse. Many-worlds is a great example of an arguably crazier idea about reality except for one saving grace - it removes any essentiality for an observer's presence. Each and every QM interpretation is a statement of philosophical inclination because the maths always the same. "observers" are the problem for many.

"There is no need to give up all order and expect random subjectivity just because one takes the observer view as fundamental"

I agree. Ther is no contradiction in accepting the observer related qm reality, and the more objective reality we encounter on a daily basis.

My point is that there is a deeper significance to the observer controversy which is based on the implications that perhaps observers play a more central role in the universe than is comfortable for most phycists with classical mindset.

Yes i agree with your thoughts on the similarity of observer status in both qm and Relativity.

"So I think the causality lies in the way of reasoning and asking questions, rather than one observation causing another. The overall result is that there is an emergent causality at statistical level."

Yes that's a very neat concept and i think Henry Stapp has some papers along the lines you allude to above. Ofcourse he believes that everything is conscious and i have my doubts about that; but i favour your idea above with a interrogation-like relationshsip between observer/observed.

I would add to that idea that qm appears a very efficient method for relating information only when it is required, and in neatly discreet values only! Kind of like the rat pecking one of those automatic feeders. It asks for and it gets one pellet.

"I think QM needs revision, but the observer view is central. The question to me isn't how to get rid of it, it's what happens when two contradictory views clash - then I think we get interactions! So this is a possibility, not a pure problem as I see it."

Personally i think we won't get to the bottom of it until we learn more about whether "consciousness" - whatever that means -is the qm causal agent hiding inside the observer :)

About "Decoherence" I said previously that Serge Reynaud participated to the experiment probing decoherence. I made a mistake : It was in fact Serge Haroche.

Please see the article reporting the experience of observing "real-time" decoherence : http://adsabs.harvard.edu/abs/1996PhRvL..77.4887BTitle : "Observing the Progressive Decoherence of the "Meter'' in a Quantum Measurement"

Authors: Brune, M.; Hagley, E.; Dreyer, J.; Maître, X.; Maali, A.; Wunderlich, C.; Raimond, J. M.; Haroche, S.

Abstract:
A mesoscopic superposition of quantum states involving radiation fields with classically distinct phases was created and its progressive decoherence observed. The experiment involved Rydberg atoms interacting one at a time with a few photon coherent field trapped in a high Q microwave cavity. The mesoscopic superposition was the equivalent of an `` atom+measuring apparatus'' system in which the ``meter'' was pointing simultaneously towards two different directions-a ``Schrödinger cat.'' The decoherence phenomenon transforming this superposition into a statistical mixture was observed while it unfolded, providing a direct insight into a process at the heart of quantum measurement.The pdf scan can be found here : http://www.atomwave.org/rmparticle/ao%20refs/aifm%20refs%20sorted%20by%20topic/decoherence%20refs/BHD96.pdf [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator:
Phrak said:
There are a several Copenhagen interpretations of quantum mechanics, depending on who you read. Most seem to share in common the interpretation of the wave function as the probability amplitude of a particle. The collapse is a physical process that collapses the probability amplitude.

If anyone can explain how this physical process (collapse) has action on this nonphysical description of possibilites (the wave function) I would sure like hear it.

Me too :smile:

Marty said:
Yes, this is what I mean by looking for a mechanism for the "collapse". In this case, however, it is worthwhile to note that the interaction does not have to be confined to a single atomic orbital...the incoming electron wave can simultaneously excite atomic orbitals distributed across the target, and they will therefore oscillate coherently, causing light to be radiated from the surface. I think we then need to look for a mechanism whereby the distributed electron wave recombines within the target material. But this should happen by normal electron wave interactions, as opposed to any sudden mysterious "collapse" process.

Thats right for the "old" time-dependent Schrödinger equ. But, I think it can go only to one orbital though. The probability Psi(xc)^2 describe a probability of going to "that" atomic orbital. Its a competitive process for a short time, which you perhaps could model with random numbers in a computer.

The formula I gave only give us a hint of what's going on phenomenologically, but explains the Copenhagen interpretation in a nice way. The real thing including creation of light and destruction of incoming wave function and rising of the atomic orbital, is described within QED theory.

thanks for all the replies theve been ,nice to see the different oppinions.
my questions were in the framework of CI but i would like to hear some of the oppositions to the CI. when reading werner Heisenbergs `physics & philosophy` he dedicated an entire chapter to the subject but ultimatly deemed all opposition as materialists.
also probably one of the most difficult questions there is. how would you personally describe consciousness?

Re copenhagen interp, I said, "If anyone can explain how this physical process (collapse) has action on this nonphysical description of possibilites (the wave function) I would sure like hear it."

Coldcall said:
Me too :smile:

In retrospect it aint gunna happen. It's a utilitarian fiction, for which you are convenienced not to consider the hard questions.

Phrak said:
Re copenhagen interp, I said, "If anyone can explain how this physical process (collapse) has action on this nonphysical description of possibilites (the wave function) I would sure like hear it."

In retrospect it aint gunna happen. It's a utilitarian fiction, for which you are convenienced not to consider the hard questions.

I am more optimistic. I think it will happen.

This is part of what I'm personally working on but though it's mind-boggling it looks to me very promising. But I think that the mathematics of QM will change too, and the old formalisms will be understood as a special case.

What we need to do is to find the physical basis of the quantum state vector, and the hilbert space it lives in. I think both the state vector and the hilbert space are observer dependent.

Alot of people in game theory treat probability, as a measure of degree of belief. However belief here must not be confused with higher intelligence. I rather think that nature it's contains a natural measure. So given any state of information, it does seem reasonable that there exists a measure on the space of differential changes. I expect here we can define an effective hilbert space. But as I see it the hilbert space is more like a tangent space, and it changes. So the probability space is like a guide on the differential changes.

So I think that what "should be" the state vector, is defined subjectively in the structure of the observer. This is why one can not directly and fully observe the wavefunction conditional on other observers. The only way we make partial observations is by means of interactions, by which we can guess parts of it.

Another component is the "logic of correction". If you have a certain belief, based on your current information. The impact on new information, is that there must be some internal reorganisation that revises your belief. And here clearly, there must be at play some competition. You are combining one piece of information, the prior, with the new observation, what is the intrinsic way of combining them to a new opinion? Clearly this question calls for evolving a logic of correction, since a system that fails to constructivel handle conflicts will not hang around. So I think there is a selection here.

This is often attacked by bayesian logic, but there is more to it than that.

/Fredrik

QUANTUMQ said:
thanks for all the replies theve been ,nice to see the different oppinions.
my questions were in the framework of CI but i would like to hear some of the oppositions to the CI. when reading werner Heisenbergs `physics & philosophy` he dedicated an entire chapter to the subject but ultimatly deemed all opposition as materialists.
also probably one of the most difficult questions there is. how would you personally describe consciousness?

Well i think he was right in a sense. Most phycists who obsess about finding some other causal mechanism for wave collapse/decoherence other than the observer are usually materialists. However, materialists are really in a jam because clearly with or without an observer there exists a prior superposition. Materialists if being consistent would need to argue that Schrodinger's cat is actually in a physical state of half-life/half-death before were look in the box.

I really have no idea what "consciousness" is. All i would say is that it if i were investigating a tangible link or common denominator between humans and qm I'd be looking into "subjectivity". If we want to prove for once and for all that observers have some special quality able to act as a causal factor in wave collapse we need to isolate whatever that thing is.

Phrak said:

I'll give this a shot, but I could be mistaken:

Let's say a particle is jiggling around quickly, and you hit it with a photon (that you will receive and analyze with a detector after it bounces off your target particle). The photon must be able to interact with the particle if you want to get any information from it, so it will change the state of the particle (and change it's own state, which you will then analyze to determine how the particles state changed).

But since you have hit the particle with a photon, you (for intance) slowed it down by taking energy from it, so you have collapsed the wave function of it's position (collapsed is a relative term that I would think is based on your instrument resolution, but it basically means the wave function becomes a dirac-delta function and your position is determined more accurately.

The physical process that happened when you collapsed the wave function of the particles position is that you slowed it way down. It's momentum wave function may have become broader in the process (uncertainty principal) but you've made the position of the particle more stable.

Pythagorean said:
I'll give this a shot, but I could be mistaken:

Let's say a particle is jiggling around quickly, and you hit it with a photon (that you will receive and analyze with a detector after it bounces off your target particle). The photon must be able to interact with the particle if you want to get any information from it, so it will change the state of the particle (and change it's own state, which you will then analyze to determine how the particles state changed).

But since you have hit the particle with a photon, you (for intance) slowed it down by taking energy from it, so you have collapsed the wave function of it's position (collapsed is a relative term that I would think is based on your instrument resolution, but it basically means the wave function becomes a dirac-delta function and your position is determined more accurately.

The physical process that happened when you collapsed the wave function of the particles position is that you slowed it way down. It's momentum wave function may have become broader in the process (uncertainty principal) but you've made the position of the particle more stable.

Do you think that this happens randomly in nature without an observer or scientist firing the photon at the particle? And if so how do we get evidence for it occurring? How do we observer without observing? What a conundrum!

Coldcall said:
Do you think that this happens randomly in nature without an observer or scientist firing the photon at the particle? And if so how do we get evidence for it occurring? How do we observer without observing? What a conundrum!

Yes, I do think it happens in nature. I assume it's random, but you're never sure.

Maybe this thought experiment works to solve the conundrum:

photons from our sun and a distant sun interact on their way to Earth where they are detected by us. The act of detecting them did not affect their prior interaction, but their prior interaction affected how they would be detected, and the detection does affect the photons after detection. (in all the interactions, the photon states are changed of course, or they would not be interactions).

So we've received information from the past, but we haven't affected the past by observing it. We've affected the photons that gave us the information about the past and changed their energy, momentum, and position to find out (to the limited certainty that we can) what their energy, position, and momentum are.

Now if we do this with a whole bunch of photons we begin to collect a more certain picture of the past without altering it.

If you're actually proposing that photons only exist because of our observation, I'll tell you why I think it's silly. Firstly, the word observation has lots of connotations with it, most of which are part of the human imagination (part of a necessary process for storing and utilizing information). The reality of it is, that the only physical meaning behind an observation is interaction. Interactions happen all over the universe, absent of a the human idea of an "observer", but really they're no different from the obsevation. If only our observations affected the events in the universe, then how could we have observed anything in the first place?

If a comet lands in your house and pummels you in your sleep before you wake up, do you not die since you didn't observe it? Do you hang out in limbo until someone else comes along and observes it? Wouldn't we be able to use such a principal to go beyond the limitations (physical laws) of the universe?

Hi Pythagorean

Good thought experiment.

"So we've received information from the past, but we haven't affected the past by observing it."

There is still some question about whether our observations can actually affect the past. No-one is saying we can travel/communicate backwards in time, but if one considers "Wheelers Delayed Choice" then it implies our "choice" of observations under certain ciricumstances have a backward causal effect. Actually its a facinating experiment:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wheeler's_delayed_choice_experiment

"If a comet lands in your house and pummels you in your sleep before you wake up, do you not die since you didn't observe it? Do you hang out in limbo until someone else comes along and observes it? Wouldn't we be able to use such a principal to go beyond the limitations (physical laws) of the universe?"

Yes but you have to remember that we know that quantum weirdness (for want of a better word) mainfests itself very differently or not at all in macrocopic objects. We also have to remember that "entanglement" or Einstein's "spooky action at a distance" is a backward in time effect because for all practical purposes the influence on an entangled particle on its pair is happening at a speed far faster than c.

We also don't know whether entanglement works on a far more fundamental level, in effect entangling all observers and matter in the universe.

since two particles can be entangled, are the wave functions of these two particles entangled before they collapse? and is a wave function collapse perminent?

Why is this topic in 'philosophy' section of the forum ?

Because I think the QM forum moderators are rightfully getting sick of arguments over the interpretive aspects of QM which are not science because they cannot be experimentally tested and make no useful predictions.

I agree this is the right place for this discussion as the "measurement problem" is clearly foundational from a philosophical point of view.

My personal view is that science lost the right to discuss philosophical concerns once they started trying to pull the wool over people's eyes about the observer controversy.
I take the view that "shut up and claculate" was physics opting out of the deeper implications.

peter0302 said:
Because I think the QM forum moderators are rightfully getting sick of arguments over the interpretive aspects of QM which are not science because they cannot be experimentally tested and make no useful predictions.

I agree as i said on the other post; however there is a contradiction at play because even on physics forums we are told there is no more measurement problem due to either MWI or decoherence. Thats just ********. So while i agree that philosophy is the right place for this discussion the physics community cheat on this rule because they then claim one of the other interpretations as being the "right way" to ignore the paradox.

So science is acting like it wants its cake and to eat it as well. If one brings up an interpetation which phycists do not like then they claim one is going off the scope of physics debate, however they bandy about MWI or decoherence as if they have more legitimacy.

So as with qm itself, there is a strange paradox at play within the physics community over interpretations.

It certainly can be a little subjective at times. It all depends on where the discussion is headed. I suggested awhile back a forum dedicated to quantum interpretation, where both scientific and philosophical discussions would be permitted, but I was told that they preferred to use the Philosophy forum for quantum discussions that got too far afield from science.

peter0302 said:
It certainly can be a little subjective at times. It all depends on where the discussion is headed. I suggested awhile back a forum dedicated to quantum interpretation, where both scientific and philosophical discussions would be permitted, but I was told that they preferred to use the Philosophy forum for quantum discussions that got too far afield from science.

That's a great idea! I would love such a forum because qm could be the first genuine metaphysical science humans have encountered. And i mean metaphysical in the right way, as in based on sound physics :smile:

My view is that speculation is a good thing as long as its based on known facts. using that factual platform speculation is a viable method to reach the next level in understanding nature and reality. Problem is filtering the reasonable from the not so reasonable but physics should be the decider. If something is possible within the known physical contraints then i think its valid.

Unfortunately "what the bleep..." and films like that make it harder to have a sensible discussion on these important issues.

Coldcall said:
"So we've received information from the past, but we haven't affected the past by observing it."

There is still some question about whether our observations can actually affect the past. No-one is saying we can travel/communicate backwards in time, but if one considers "Wheelers Delayed Choice" then it implies our "choice" of observations under certain ciricumstances have a backward causal effect. Actually its a facinating experiment:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wheeler's_delayed_choice_experiment

On the quantum level, perhaps (there's still a question of whether or not this is just a restriction on how we observe), but this doesn't have a lot to do with the past as we know it. We can't travel/communicate backwards in time because we experience time very differently than the quantum particle does. In the same way, it's equally difficult to draw serious philosophical conclusions based on quantum physics.

Coldcall said:
"If a comet lands in your house and pummels you in your sleep before you wake up, do you not die since you didn't observe it? Do you hang out in limbo until someone else comes along and observes it? Wouldn't we be able to use such a principal to go beyond the limitations (physical laws) of the universe?"

Yes but you have to remember that we know that quantum weirdness (for want of a better word) mainfests itself very differently or not at all in macrocopic objects.

This is the point I was making. You previous post:
Coldcall said:
Do you think that this happens randomly in nature without an observer or scientist firing the photon at the particle? And if so how do we get evidence for it occurring? How do we observer without observing?

Coldcall said:
The heart of the matter and why modern interpretations try to eject the observer is because if an observer really is required then we live in a somewhat subjective universe in which obsevers play a central role. It would sort of contradict Copernican reasoning.

I would assume 'universe' (the way you're using it) is a macroscopic term.

Pythagorean,

"On the quantum level, perhaps (there's still a question of whether or not this is just a restriction on how we observe), but this doesn't have a lot to do with the past as we know it. We can't travel/communicate backwards in time because we experience time very differently than the quantum particle does."

Yes i don't think qm has ever suggested a way to carry information backwards in time. However retro-causality is a real phenomenom as demonstrated in Delayed choice, quantum eraser etc...

I agree the question about observership is very hard but we cannot ignore the evidence. We may be able to treat it as an un-intended paradox but to not take it seriously is scientifically regressive in my point of view.

"I would assume 'universe' (the way you're using it) is a macroscopic term."

Yes subjective on a macroscopic level too. However we also have a global reality, which can be seen as the reality we all agree on so it is unchanging - more or less. However new things that no-one may know about come from the subjective un-defined realm and when we discover them they join into the "known" or entangled global reality. So there is actually a subjective-objectivity to it all...if that makes any sense.

why is there seemingly a lack of interest in the physics world into what subjectivity is when it seems to play a very important role?

Because most physicists that work with QM phenomena belong to the "shut up and calculate" school of thought. People have been discussing various interpretations for several decades now and there hasn't been much progress; mainly because no one has been able to come up with a way to test anything experimentally. Most physicists (including me) simply find the discussion boring and frankly quite pointless.
But at the time we have made HUGE progress when it comes to understanding causes of decoherence, Bell-type tests etc. and this is a VERY active field of research, but most of the issues have nothing to do with philosophy.
To give you a concrete example: the main problem in solid state quantum computing at the moment is the presence of two-level fluctuators in the materials (unpaired electrons and other defects), THEY are what is causing the "wavefunction to collapse" after a few microseconds and by removing them we hope to extend the coherence times by at least a factor of ten, but in in order to achive this you need people who are interested in materials science, not philosophy.
Hence, there are plenty of very technical problems to worry about, and if your goal is to e.g. build a practical quantum computer most philosophical arguments are simply irrelevant.

How would we know if a wave function collapsed or not without an observer being present?

i did ask the question "since two particles can be entangled, are the wave functions of these two particles entangled before they collapse? and is a wave function collapse perminent?" but it got lost in the philosophy discussion, so is there any answers on the original question?

QUANTUMQ said:
i did ask the question "since two particles can be entangled, are the wave functions of these two particles entangled before they collapse? and is a wave function collapse perminent?" but it got lost in the philosophy discussion, so is there any answers on the original question?

This has ultimately come down to a matter of interpretation. The interaction/observation is what collapses a wave-function, but its quite true that, given an interaction is not observed the systems (we'll say particles for convenience) will entangle. Thus the matter comes down to what constitutes an observation. Of course, for all practical purposes, the Copenhagen interpretation circumvents this matter completely- but seeing as this is the philosophy discussion, I will take the liberty to introduce Eugene Wigner's thought experiment 'Wigner's friend', which raises, more bluntly than ever, the same problem Schroedinger's cat presents (though of course, both are irrelavent to the actual physical application of quantum theory). Wigner considers this as decisive that consciousness has a role to play in collapse.

See Eugene P. Wigner, Symmetries and Reflections: Scientific Essays (MIT Press, 1970)

QUANTUMQ said:
what is it that actually collapses a wave function, an observer? what constitutes an observer? also is it true that everything has a wave function, because if it does who collapsed the universes wave function
some may say wave function collapse only works on the quantum level but the universe was sub atomic sive at the time of the BIG BANG.

can resistance in space-time also collapse wavefunctions

if a person collapses a wave function by looking (observing) where does light come into the question. for the person to actually make the observation the light has to travel from the wavefunction to tge persons eye, what if the light is intercepted by another persons eye.

also how can light wave function collapse?
The collapse of the wavefunction might be a misleading way of characterizing what happens when qualitative results are obtained, ie., when detections are irreversibly recorded, if wavefunction collapse is taken to mean that there's some qualitative knowledge of what's happening in some underlying quantum reality.

QM wavefunctions might correspond in some way to what's happening in the deep reality of quantum level processes, but there's no way to precisely ascertain that. And, according to one interpretation of quantum theory, the Copenhagen Interpretation, the existence of a fundamental quantum of action (the principle component of any flavor of the quantum theory) precludes our ever having any qualitative knowledge of a quantum scale reality that underlies instrumental behavior.

What is known is that QM wavefunctions are mathematical tools that describe the expected frequency distributions of the results of quantum experiments. These probability distributions, which associate certain values with certain possible instrumental behaviors, apply to specific experimental preparations, or classes of similar preparations, and describe, and have physical meaning only with regard to, the expected statistical distributions of large accumulations of individual trial results.

I don't know of any reports of any observations of any qm wavefunction ever collapsing.

On the other hand, we're in the philosophy forum so feel free to analogize qm wavefunctions with some sort of real wavelike disturbance -- like the ripples produced when you drop a stone into a calm pool of water. Put some obstacles/filters in the paths of the waves and see what happens.

Another cool thing to do is to put some sand or other finely particulate stuff on a drumhead and then set the drum to vibrating. Try different vibrational frequencies and see what sorts of standing wave patterns you can produce in the particulate stuff.

There are lots of simulations of wave behavior on the web. I don't have any links handy, but just Google stuff about waves and you should get some interesting hits.

Last edited:
QUANTUMQ said:
why is there seemingly a lack of interest in the physics world into what subjectivity is when it seems to play a very important role?

I think physicists like to avoid subjectivity because subjectivity leads each individual to a separate conclusion with few instances where there is an agreement on a cause or an effect.

When numerical observations match-up there is little room for disagreement on a subjective basis since numbers are quantifiably the same in a mathematical and universal sense.

So, when I say something is blue, someone else will disagree and say its aqua. But if I give them the percentages of cyan, yellow, magenta and black there is no dispute regarding the value of the colour of a pigment. Same with light, if I give you the values and percentages of red, blue and green we can immediately agree on the quality of the colour of light.

yasiru89 said:
This has ultimately come down to a matter of interpretation. The interaction/observation is what collapses a wave-function, but its quite true that, given an interaction is not observed the systems (we'll say particles for convenience) will entangle. Thus the matter comes down to what constitutes an observation. Of course, for all practical purposes, the Copenhagen interpretation circumvents this matter completely- but seeing as this is the philosophy discussion, I will take the liberty to introduce Eugene Wigner's thought experiment 'Wigner's friend', which raises, more bluntly than ever, the same problem Schroedinger's cat presents (though of course, both are irrelavent to the actual physical application of quantum theory). Wigner considers this as decisive that consciousness has a role to play in collapse.

See Eugene P. Wigner, Symmetries and Reflections: Scientific Essays (MIT Press, 1970)
The exact position of an electron (if that's the observable measured) is at the time of observation - ONLY.

The 'observer' was a terrible red herring brought about by the inability to comprehend superposition. So for example we had absurdities like 'how can a particle spin both ways at once' - Schrodingers cat is another absurd, historical example. The main line of the Copenhagen overcomes them.

Its not as if an electron suddenly becomes a tiny gray ball at a known position on decoherence. The electron remains a probablistic cloud - for want of a better description. Its position is only known exactly at the time of measurement, then its back to probabilities again - immediately.

wawenspop said:
The 'observer' was a terrible red herring brought about by the inability to comprehend superposition. So for example we had absurdities like 'how can a particle spin both ways at once' - Schrodingers cat is another absurd, historical example. The main line of the Copenhagen overcomes them.
Are you saying that the concept of superposition eliminates the paradox of the Schrodinger's Cat thought experiment?

DaveC426913 said:
Are you saying that the concept of superposition eliminates the paradox of the Schrodinger's Cat thought experiment?
The cat was in the days when they were trying to hang on to electrons as particles rather than wave packets. You might say that a cat can spin two ways at once, that's absurd in the same way as dead and alive cats.

But if the cat were quantum sized, then sure 'it' can - because its a wave packet (probabilities) and no longer a little gray ball (or cat like thing).

I am not trying to be clever here. I assume we believe the main line of Copenhagen here and not MWI etc. I cannot see how you could accept the cat story at all.
Please make your point to prove me wrong!

wawenspop said:
The exact position of an electron (if that's the observable measured) is at the time of observation - ONLY.

Its not as if an electron suddenly becomes a tiny gray ball at a known position on decoherence. The electron remains a probablistic cloud - for want of a better description. Its position is only known exactly at the time of measurement, then its back to probabilities again - immediately.

so is that to say that a wavefunction does not collapse, but just gives the appearence of a collapse

QUANTUMQ said:
so is that to say that a wavefunction does not collapse, but just gives the appearence of a collapse

The wavefunction *realigns itself*, so if the first wave function had a probability (for say position), & then if that position were to be 'observed', then its position state would be a new probability after observation. Observation would be something like a collision with a photon or similar.

Imagine a violin string vibrating - then get a snapshot (which might change its phase) - then its still vibrating. i.e. it does not stop vibrating. -remember a violin string vibrating is only partially analogous to a wave function.

<h2>What is wave function collapse?</h2><p>Wave function collapse is a phenomenon in quantum mechanics where the state of a particle or system becomes determined or "collapsed" into a specific state when it is observed or measured.</p><h2>What causes wave function collapse?</h2><p>The cause of wave function collapse is still a topic of debate and interpretation in quantum mechanics. Some theories suggest that it is due to the interaction between the observer and the system being observed, while others propose that it is a result of the inherent randomness of quantum mechanics.</p><h2>Does wave function collapse violate the laws of physics?</h2><p>No, wave function collapse does not violate the laws of physics. It is a fundamental aspect of quantum mechanics and is necessary for the theory to accurately describe the behavior of particles at the quantum level.</p><h2>Can wave function collapse be observed?</h2><p>Wave function collapse itself cannot be observed, as it occurs at the quantum level and is not visible to the naked eye. However, its effects can be observed through experiments and measurements in quantum mechanics.</p><h2>Is wave function collapse reversible?</h2><p>The reversibility of wave function collapse is a topic of debate in quantum mechanics. Some theories suggest that it is irreversible, while others propose that it can be reversed under certain conditions, such as through quantum entanglement.</p>

What is wave function collapse?

Wave function collapse is a phenomenon in quantum mechanics where the state of a particle or system becomes determined or "collapsed" into a specific state when it is observed or measured.

What causes wave function collapse?

The cause of wave function collapse is still a topic of debate and interpretation in quantum mechanics. Some theories suggest that it is due to the interaction between the observer and the system being observed, while others propose that it is a result of the inherent randomness of quantum mechanics.

Does wave function collapse violate the laws of physics?

No, wave function collapse does not violate the laws of physics. It is a fundamental aspect of quantum mechanics and is necessary for the theory to accurately describe the behavior of particles at the quantum level.

Can wave function collapse be observed?

Wave function collapse itself cannot be observed, as it occurs at the quantum level and is not visible to the naked eye. However, its effects can be observed through experiments and measurements in quantum mechanics.

Is wave function collapse reversible?

The reversibility of wave function collapse is a topic of debate in quantum mechanics. Some theories suggest that it is irreversible, while others propose that it can be reversed under certain conditions, such as through quantum entanglement.