Relative Permittivity and Refractive Index

by iLIKEstuff
Tags: index, permittivity, refractive, relative
iLIKEstuff
Jul24-08, 05:18 PM
P: 25
in relating the index of refraction to the relative permittivity (dielectric constant/function). it is known that [tex]n = \sqrt{\epsilon_r}[/tex] for optical frequencies (i.e. [tex]\mu_r=1[/tex].

now this website
http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu...s/diel.html#c1

gives the relative permittivity of water as 80.4 i.e. [tex]\epsilon_r = 80.4[/tex]
but we also know that the index of refraction of water is 1.33.

so it should be [tex]n = \sqrt{\epsilon_r} = \sqrt{80.4} = 8.9666[/tex] ??? am i missing something here?

i want to use the relative permittivity in an equation to calculate the electrostatic approximation of the scattering/absorption efficiencies of small spherical particles.

should i be solving for relative permittivity from the index of refraction? i.e. [tex]{n}^{2} = {(\sqrt{\epsilon_r})}^{2} \Rightarrow \epsilon_r={1.33}^{2}=1.7689[/tex]

what value should i use for the relative permittivity in this equation?

thanks guys.
Phys.Org News Partner Physics news on Phys.org
Physicists design quantum switches which can be activated by single photons
'Dressed' laser aimed at clouds may be key to inducing rain, lightning
Higher-order nonlinear optical processes observed using the SACLA X-ray free-electron laser
mpolyanskiy
Jul25-08, 11:58 AM
P: 4
Permittivity is a function of wavelength (frequency). 80.4 value is valid for microwave diapason, not for optical one.

For optical frequencies you should calculate permittivity from refractive index, i.e. [tex]\epsilon_r = n^2[/tex]

To find accurate value of n at a particular wavelength in optical diapason use, for example, RefractiveIndex.INFO

Register to reply