Exploring the Phenomenon of Plasma Formation in Microwave Ovens

In summary, a candle produces a weakly ionized gas, primarily due to combustion, while a microwave oven will produce a bright ball of plasma.
Sam G
Hello, I've been watching some videos on youtube of people putting a lit flame into a microwave oven. After a few seconds the flame bursts into a bright ball of plasma, why is this?

Is there anywhere online that I can research the science that causes this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MTznh5uK6Oo

Computer science news on Phys.org
Ah - that's a candle, and that would produce a weakly ionized gas, primarily due to combustion - a very weak plasma, and certainly not fully ionized.

So what is happening?

Well, how does a candle work? The flame is produced by the combustion of the paraffin (a hydrocarbon) in the air. The heat of the flame melts the paraffin and volatilizes it. The vapor of hydrocarbon combines with the air and 'burns'.

Now what happens when the burning candle is placed in the microwave oven, which is then turned on? The microwaves heat the candle and that energy volatilizes the melted paraffin and facilitates the dipersion of the paraffin vapor - which burns in the air.

If one were to replace air with an inert gas like Ar, then the flame would extinguish, and there would be no glowing gas.

If one puts a stick of frozen butter in a microwave and turns it on, one will note that the butter heats and then melts. It could also boil and volatilize.

A fellow Satriani fan I see, cool!

Okay, thanks for the response. Only thing is -it's not a candle. Note around frame no.0:34 the text states that it's a piece of burning wood.

I think I still understand how you explained it tho:smile:

Thanks

Ah - I see that it is a wood splint. When the turn the microwave on, the split seems to burn much better, and there appear flames below the glowing area in the inverted bowl.

The microwaves would also interact with the steam (a combustion product) and perhaps some of the unburned wood. Part of the wood also volatilizes as it burns, and that seems to be enhanced with the microwaves. It would be an interesting experiment to do, but I'm sure my wife would object, espeically since we just replaced the microwave (2 weeks ago) after the old one died. :biggrin:

I once put a foil lined bag of frazen vegetables in the microwave oven. When I turned it on, it made a pretty spectacular light show. :rofl:

What is plasma in a microwave oven?

Plasma in a microwave oven refers to the ionized gas that is created when microwaves interact with the air inside the oven. This plasma is responsible for heating and cooking food in a microwave.

Is it safe to have plasma in a microwave oven?

Yes, it is safe to have plasma in a microwave oven. Microwaves are designed to contain the plasma inside the oven, and the levels of radiation emitted are well below the safety standards set by regulatory agencies.

How does plasma cook food in a microwave oven?

When microwaves interact with the air molecules inside the oven, they cause the molecules to vibrate and generate heat. This heat is what cooks the food, as it is absorbed by the water molecules in the food.

Can plasma in a microwave oven be harmful to food or the oven itself?

No, plasma in a microwave oven is not harmful to food or the oven itself. The plasma only exists while the microwave is running and dissipates quickly once the microwave is turned off.

Why do some foods seem to spark or create visible plasma in a microwave oven?

Foods that are high in fat, sugar, or metal can cause visible plasma in a microwave oven. The fat, sugar, and metal reflect the microwaves, which can create hotspots and cause the plasma to become visible.