Register to reply

Special relativity and apparent, actual and synchronized positions

by bernhard.rothenstein
Tags: actual, apparent, positions, relativity, special, synchronized
Share this thread:
bernhard.rothenstein
Jul27-08, 04:23 AM
P: 997
Consider a particle that moves with speed V in the positive direction of the OX axis of the inertial reference frame I. At a time t=0 it is located at a point Ma characterized by a apace coordinate xa. Using a terminology proposed by Deissler1 we call that position aparent. At t=0 a light signal is emitted from the origin O in the positive direction of the OX axis. Its arrival at the point Ma is associated with event E1 characterized by a space coordinate xa and by a time coordinate xa and by a time coordinate xa/c. At that very time the moving particle arrives at its actual position associated with an event E2 characterized by a space coordinate xa(1+V/c) taking into account that during the time interval xa/c the moving particle has advances with Vxa/c, and by a time coordinate xa/c. The two events are simultaneous in I.
Performing the Lorentz transformation of the space-time coordinates of event E2
to the rest frame I' of the moving partcle the results are
x'=gxa=gcta (1)
and
t'=gta[1-V/c(1+V/c)]=gxa[1-V/c(1+V/c)] (2)
g standing for the Lorentz factor. If we neglect second order effects (2) becomes
t'=ta[(1-V/c)/(1+V/c)]1/2 (3)
Let E be the event associated with the fact that the world lines of the moving particle and of the propagating light signal intersect each other. Let x be its space coordinate. From
x=xa+Vx/c (4)
we obtain that
x=xa/(1-V/c) (5)
event E being characterized by a time coordinate
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
World's largest solar boat on Greek prehistoric mission
Google searches hold key to future market crashes
Mineral magic? Common mineral capable of making and breaking bonds
bernhard.rothenstein
Jul27-08, 04:29 AM
P: 997
Quote Quote by bernhard.rothenstein View Post
Consider a particle that moves with speed V in the positive direction of the OX axis of the inertial reference frame I. At a time t=0 it is located at a point Ma characterized by a apace coordinate xa. Using a terminology proposed by Deissler1 we call that position aparent. At t=0 a light signal is emitted from the origin O in the positive direction of the OX axis. Its arrival at the point Ma is associated with event E1 characterized by a space coordinate xa and by a time coordinate xa and by a time coordinate xa/c. At that very time the moving particle arrives at its actual position associated with an event E2 characterized by a space coordinate xa(1+V/c) taking into account that during the time interval xa/c the moving particle has advances with Vxa/c, and by a time coordinate xa/c. The two events are simultaneous in I.
Performing the Lorentz transformation of the space-time coordinates of event E2
to the rest frame I' of the moving partcle the results are
x'=gxa=gcta (1)
and
t'=gta[1-V/c(1+V/c)]=gxa[1-V/c(1+V/c)] (2)
g standing for the Lorentz factor. If we neglect second order effects (2) becomes
t'=ta[(1-V/c)/(1+V/c)]1/2 (3)
Let E be the event associated with the fact that the world lines of the moving particle and of the propagating light signal intersect each other. Let x be its space coordinate. From
x=xa+Vx/c (4)
we obtain that
x=xa/(1-V/c) (5)
event E being characterized by a time coordinate x/c. Performing the Lorentz transformations to the rest frame of the moving particle we obtain
x'=gxa
t'=gxa/c (6)
Do you consider that the derivations above are correct? Are they a simple exercise in handling the Lorentz transformations or there is some physics behind them.
Thanks in advance for your help.

Register to reply