How Does Lens Power Correction Work for Nearsightedness?

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of lenses to correct nearsightedness and the relationship between object and image distance. The near point is the closest point an individual can see clearly, while the far point is the farthest point. The person's near point becomes the image point when wearing glasses, with the object distance being infinity. The conversation also addresses confusion about the terminology and how to determine object and image distance.
sixpence
I'm having trouble deciding what to use as the object, p, and the image, q. For example here's a question:

An individual is nearsighted; his near point is 13cm and far point is 50cm. What lens power is needed to correct his nearsightedness? When lenses are in use, what is this person's near point?

so i got 1/infinity + 1/-.5 = 1.f

1/-.5 = 1/-.13 +1/q

these are the right answers but they don't make sense to me. How would the focal length from the far point have anything to do with wearing glasses. I also don't know when to make things negative or keep it positive, but that's mainly b/c I don't know what's the image and what's the object. I don't know if the questions are just worded poorly but I can't seem to get them. Is the near point always the object or can it be object and image? This is frustrating meeeeeee

Science news on Phys.org
The near point is the closest something can be so that the person can still see it clearly. The far point is the farthest away something can be so that the person can still see it.

Since the person can't see any farther away than the far point, we want to make glasses from lens that will take objects which are really far away (object distance =infinity) and put the image at the far point.

So, the object distance in this problem is infinity. The image point will be the near point. Does this clear things up?

I understand your confusion with the concepts of optics and the use of the terms object and image. Let me help clarify these for you.

First, let's define some terms. Optics is the branch of physics that deals with the behavior and properties of light, including its interactions with matter and the formation of images. The far point and near point are both related to the concept of the human eye's ability to focus on objects at different distances.

The far point is the farthest distance at which a person with normal vision can see objects clearly without any assistance, such as glasses or contact lenses. This distance is typically around 6 meters or 20 feet. The near point, on the other hand, is the closest distance at which a person with normal vision can see objects clearly without any assistance. This distance is typically around 25 centimeters or 10 inches.

In the question provided, the individual is nearsighted, which means they have trouble seeing objects that are far away. This is because the images of distant objects are being focused in front of the retina instead of directly on it. The near point of this individual is 13cm, meaning they can only see objects clearly when they are 13cm or closer to their eyes. The far point, in this case, is 50cm, which means they can only see objects clearly up to a distance of 50cm without any assistance.

Now, let's talk about lenses. A lens is a curved piece of glass or other transparent material that can refract (bend) light rays. In the case of nearsightedness, a concave lens is needed to correct the vision. This type of lens diverges light rays, causing them to focus on the retina instead of in front of it.

To determine the lens power needed to correct nearsightedness, we can use the lens formula:

1/f = 1/p + 1/q

Where f is the focal length of the lens, p is the distance of the object from the lens, and q is the distance of the image from the lens.

In this case, the object (p) is the near point of the individual, which is 13cm. The image (q) is the distance at which the light rays coming from the near point will be focused on the retina, which is the far point of 50cm.

Plugging these values into the lens formula, we get:

1/f =

What is optics?

Optics is the branch of physics that deals with the behavior and properties of light, including its interactions with matter and its effects on the environment.

What is the far point in optics?

The far point in optics is the farthest point from the eye at which an object can be clearly focused. In other words, it is the point at which light rays coming from an object are parallel when they reach the eye.

What is the near point in optics?

The near point in optics is the closest point to the eye at which an object can be clearly focused. This is typically around 10-25 cm for a healthy human eye, but can vary depending on individual vision capabilities.

How does the near point change with age?

The near point typically increases with age, meaning that as we get older, it becomes more difficult to focus on objects that are close to our eyes. This is due to the natural aging process of the eye, which leads to a decrease in the ability of the lens to change shape and accommodate for near vision.

What are some common optical devices that utilize the concept of far point and near point?

Some common optical devices that utilize the concept of far point and near point include eyeglasses, contact lenses, and magnifying glasses. These devices are designed to help correct vision by manipulating the path of light in order to focus it on the retina at the correct distance for clear vision.