Critical Temperature in a Gas

by Kasper_NYC
Tags: critical, temperature
Kasper_NYC
Aug4-08, 08:12 AM
P: 26
Hi,

It is supposed a metal container hermetically closed and completely filled with water; the container is supposed to have unlimited strength, so doesn’t deform under internal or external pressure.

What will be happen if we heat the water over its critical temperature (374 C degrees – 705.2 F degrees)? Will it become steam? If yes, how? Because the container is fully filled with water and this is denser than steam (that is a gas).

If doesn’t become steam (gas), will continue the water increasing its temperature over the critical temperature as we increase the temperature we apply?

Thanks a lot.

PS – I apologize for my English, I am learning it.
Phys.Org News Partner Physics news on Phys.org
Information storage for the next generation of plastic computers
Scientists capture ultrafast snapshots of light-driven superconductivity
Progress in the fight against quantum dissipation
lsloneil
Aug4-08, 10:30 AM
P: 4
Well, according to my understanding, above the critical temperature, that is supercritical water and there will be no phase separation. Therefore, there will be only one 'fluid' phase in the region above the critical temperature. it's neither liquid nor gas, but it's still water!Since your container is fixed at constant volume, the density is also fixed. So the water (in fluid phase) will continue increasing its temperature as you increase the temperature outside, until the water molecules decompose.

That is my opinion. If anyone find errors in my words, please correct it. Thanks.
Kasper_NYC
Aug5-08, 06:58 AM
Thanks Isloneil for your interesting answer.

Kasper_NYC
Aug5-08, 07:01 AM

Critical Temperature in a Gas

Here is a Water Diagram about it: http://www.lsbu.ac.uk/water/phase.html

Register to reply