Tags: neck thing
Share this thread:
Math Is Hard
Aug7-08, 04:12 PM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 4,923
I can't stand anything wrapped around my neck - turtleneck collars, close fitting necklaces, even some t-shirts bother me if the collar is too high. It makes me feel like I am choking. I can't get my hair cut at any place that insists on putting that paper strip around my neck, and the smock they put on me must be very loose.

I wasn't always like this. It started in my late 20s. Before that I used to wear turtlenecks and chokers and it never bothered me. I thought I was the only person who had this "quirk" but I found out there are others like me:
http://ask.metafilter.com/83395/Am-I...ge-body-quirks

Do you have any strange quirks or annoyances like this?
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
World's largest solar boat on Greek prehistoric mission
Google searches hold key to future market crashes
Mineral magic? Common mineral capable of making and breaking bonds
turbo
Aug7-08, 04:19 PM
PF Gold
P: 7,363
I've got that one, too MIH. Times when I was forced (work, social convention, etc) to wear a tie were real hell. It's hard to find dress shirts in my size with adequately-sized collars, and then there's the matter of tying the tie so that it looks trim and neat, but is still not putting pressure on the neck. I don't own a single tie or a single dress shirt now. Bury me in a T-shirt and be done with it.
hypatia
Aug7-08, 04:21 PM
P: 1,298
I won't wear shirts with capped sleeves, it makes my armpits feel weird. And I won't wear a belt unless the pants sit low on the hips. Being cinched around the waist is just the most claustrophobic feeling I know of.

rewebster
Aug7-08, 04:22 PM
P: 880
I have a neck thing

Quote Quote by turbo-1 View Post
I've got that one, too MIH. Times when I was forced (work, social convention, etc) to wear a tie were real hell. It's hard to find dress shirts in my size with adequately-sized collars, and then there's the matter of tying the tie so that it looks trim and neat, but is still not putting pressure on the neck. I don't own a single tie or a single dress shirt now. Bury me in a T-shirt and be done with it.
I'll 'second' that
Math Is Hard
Aug7-08, 04:25 PM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
ah, poor turbo. I would die if I had to wear a tie.

One of the people at my link mentioned "sensory defensiveness". I've never heard of this term before, so I googled it:

from Wiki:

"Sensory defensiveness is a condition defined as having "a tendency to react negatively or with alarm to sensory input which is generally considered harmless or non-irritating" to neurotypical persons."

I want to read more about this.
Math Is Hard
Aug7-08, 04:28 PM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
Quote Quote by hypatia View Post
I won't wear shirts with capped sleeves, it makes my armpits feel weird. And I won't wear a belt unless the pants sit low on the hips. Being cinched around the waist is just the most claustrophobic feeling I know of.
Luckily women's pants rarely come up to the waist these days.
lisab
Aug7-08, 04:29 PM
Mentor
P: 2,976
I hate those haircut smocks too! They feel like they were cut to fit a Barbie doll's neck (like your avitar, MIH!).

What really makes me nuts are sandal straps that go between my big toe and its neighbor, like flip-flops. How does anyone tolerate those?!?
Math Is Hard
Aug7-08, 04:31 PM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
Quote Quote by lisab View Post
I hate those haircut smocks too! They feel like they were cut to fit a Barbie doll's neck (like your avitar, MIH!).

What really makes me nuts are sandal straps that go between my big toe and its neighbor, like flip-flops. How does anyone tolerate those?!?
You are so right! I don't like flip flops either.
hypatia
Aug7-08, 05:07 PM
P: 1,298
Quote Quote by Math Is Hard View Post
Luckily women's pants rarely come up to the waist these days.
lol I know, but I do find myself buying several pairs low riding jeans to put aside for when the fashion changes again.
WarPhalange
Aug7-08, 05:15 PM
P: 343
I have to wear a thing around my neck which has my ID card and anti-radiation deely where I work now, and I can't stand it. I feel like a dog. No, actually, the only time my dog has a collar on is when I go out on walks with him.

What's worse is the lady I'm renting a room from gave me this necklace type thing with "year of the tiger" dates. I can't stand having something around my neck. Accessories in general. I don't even like wearing a watch. =/
turbo
Aug7-08, 05:21 PM
PF Gold
I have to wear a watch, but collars really bother me. I'm not a very large person, and when I was working out a lot it was impossible for me to find dress shirts with a collar large enough to fit my neck comfortably without being way too baggy everywhere else. Throw a necktie into the mix, and it was HELL!
Redbelly98
Aug7-08, 06:15 PM
Mentor
P: 12,070
I've always hated wool clothing against my skin. Too scratchy.

However, wool clothing with about 42 non-wool layers between it and my skin ... now that I can tolerate!
lisab
Aug7-08, 06:18 PM
Mentor
P: 2,976
Clothes that are all charged up with static electricity drive me to distraction!
turbo
Aug7-08, 07:05 PM
PF Gold
Quote Quote by Redbelly98 View Post
I've always hated wool clothing against my skin. Too scratchy.

However, wool clothing with about 42 non-wool layers between it and my skin ... now that I can tolerate!
I'm the same way, and so is my dad. He joined the Airborne in WWII and ended up in Europe with nice wool uniforms and wool long underwear. He's been through some stuff, but he still talks about that DAMNED wool clothing. He's in his 80's and still walks a few miles every day, but we're watching his old cronies dropping with disheartening regularity.
tribdog
Aug7-08, 07:31 PM
P: 693
Wow, you people have problems. Unless something is actually cutting off circulation I don't have a problem with it. To actually go out of your way to find a different place to get a haircut because you can't handle the soft paper strip around your neck is beyond my comprehension. You know it isn't really choking you and it's all in your mind. Are you going to let your mind tell you what to do? Who's in charge? you or your brain? Take Control!!!
Math Is Hard
Aug7-08, 10:53 PM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
I know, trib. It's extremely weird. I've tried to train myself out of it. I put on a shirt with a close collar and tell myself to relax, that nothing bad is happening, but then within seconds I start choking and almost rip it off in panic. When your sensations are telling you that you're in danger, it's so hard to get the reasoning systems to override.
JasonRox
Aug7-08, 11:00 PM
HW Helper
PF Gold
P: 2,327
That's kind of creepy.
Math Is Hard
Aug7-08, 11:07 PM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold