Inserting Feynman Slash Notation in Mathematica

In summary, A\!\!\!/ can be inserted into a Mathematica document using the DisplayForm function with specific parameters. However, this solution has some limitations, such as producing a string instead of a symbol, and not scaling well with different font sizes. A better solution may be available in a future update from Wolfram. Posting about this issue on the MathGroup forum may also lead to a solution.
Shaun Culver
I need to insert the slash notation, [tex] A\!\!\!/ [/tex] , into a Mathematica document. I have searched high and low, but find nothing on this.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Interesting problem! I found a limited workaround, but hopefully Wolfram includes these characters in a future update. Here is the partial solution:

Code:
DisplayForm[RowBox[{"A", AdjustmentBox["", BoxMargins -> {{0.1, -1.35}, {0.4, 0.2}}], "/"}]]

This solution is has the following weaknesses:

1) It produces a string, rather then a symbol. Attempting to convert it to an expression produces an error.

2) The slash only appears correctly in DisplayForm, it instead appears as A/ in StandardForm and InputForm.

3) It doesn't scale well with size, you will have to adjust the -1.35 parameter to get this right. The character looks correct to me on a 19" 1280x1024 with no magnification and Mathematica's default 12pt courier font. Any other configuration will probably require fiddling with the -1.35.

I'm sorry the solution is so limited, you could try posting this question to the MathGroup moderated forum, and at least hopefully someone at Wolfram will patch this missing feature in an update.

Good effort, it works! It's a pity that it's too limited for my purposes though. I'll drop a message at the MathGroup forum.

1. What is Feynman slash notation?

Feynman slash notation, also known as Dirac slash notation, is a mathematical notation used in theoretical physics to represent the product of a four-vector and a four-by-four matrix. It is commonly used in quantum field theory and particle physics.

2. How do you insert Feynman slash notation in Mathematica?

To insert Feynman slash notation in Mathematica, you can use the built-in function DiracGamma. This function takes in two arguments: the four-vector and the matrix, and returns the Feynman slash notation representation of their product.

3. Can Feynman slash notation be used in any other software or programming language?

Yes, Feynman slash notation can also be used in other programming languages such as Python, C++, and Fortran. However, the specific syntax for implementing it may vary.

4. What are the advantages of using Feynman slash notation in Mathematica?

Feynman slash notation allows for a more compact and elegant representation of calculations involving four-vectors and matrices. It also simplifies the manipulation and evaluation of these expressions, making it a useful tool for theoretical physicists and mathematicians.

5. Are there any limitations or drawbacks to using Feynman slash notation in Mathematica?

One limitation of using Feynman slash notation is that it can only be used for four-dimensional calculations. It also may not be as intuitive for those who are not familiar with theoretical physics or quantum field theory. Furthermore, it may not be suitable for more complex calculations involving higher-dimensional matrices.