Register to reply

Does Dark Anti-Matter exist?

by WhiteKnights
Tags: antimatter, dark, exist
Share this thread:
surajt88
Nov29-11, 09:59 PM
P: 76
It does seem that when a dark matter particle meets its anti-particle, both would be annihilated.
PAllen
Nov30-11, 12:10 AM
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 5,027
One of the more popular proposals for dark matter is the lightest (therefore stable) neutralino of supersymmetric models. In such models, the neutralino is its own antiparticle.
wildwill
Nov30-11, 06:38 PM
P: 8
they found positrons by using the earths magnetic field and looking at the aura borialus
so anti
matter could exist
Drakkith
Nov30-11, 06:46 PM
Mentor
P: 11,482
Quote Quote by wildwill View Post
they found positrons by using the earths magnetic field and looking at the aura borialus
so anti
matter could exist
Antimatter does exist. Are you referring to an antiparticle to dark matter?
wildwill
Nov30-11, 06:56 PM
wouldnt the antiparticle be white matter

or photons
Drakkith
Nov30-11, 07:01 PM
Mentor
wouldnt the antiparticle be white matter

or photons
I've never heard of "white matter". Are you talking about normal matter that compose you and I and most of the visible universe? If so, then no, it would not be that. Normal matter has it's own antiparticles. And photons are their own antiparticle, not one to dark matter. It is thought that dark matter doesn't even interact via the electromagnetic force, so photons wouldn't even be able to interact except through gravity with dark matter.
wildwill
Nov30-11, 07:14 PM
oh okay so would black wholes be dark mater
Drakkith
Nov30-11, 07:20 PM
Mentor
oh okay so would black wholes be dark mater
No. Instead of randomly suggesting different things as dark matter you should read up on it a little bit. Hit up wikipedia and search for dark matter on it.
boson18
Nov30-11, 10:06 PM
P: 3
faraday rotation could have some effect to the optical properties that we see, is it known if z-pinches could produce lensing effects?
StevenJParkes
Mar30-12, 10:16 AM
P: 12
Hypothetically. On the assumption that dark antimatter exists. If it does and if we could trap it, would it then be possible to use it as an energy source by making it interact with dark matter? How destructive could that be? and what other consequences might there be?
StevenJParkes
Mar30-12, 10:18 AM
The other hypothetical question that led to the above one is as follows: "Is it possible that antimatter is the source of the limit to the speed of light?
StevenJParkes
Mar30-12, 10:21 AM
My thoughts regarding the above questions relate to finding a method of exceeding the speed of light for the sake of space travel some time in the future.
StevenJParkes
Mar30-12, 10:27 AM
Quote Quote by coronzon93 View Post
My thoughts are that there is Matter/Antimatter and yes, Dark Matter/Dark Antimatter. My thought on that is that Dark matter has its own set of quarks and bosons. So there would be Dark Leptons, Dark Mesons, Dark Baryons, Dark Bimesons, Dark Barymesons, Dark Trimesons and Dark Dibaryons. Matter/Antimatter DIRECTLY interacts with Matter/Antimatter. Dark Matter/Dark Antimatter DIRECTLY interacts with Dark Matter/Dark Antimatter. My own (strongly disputable) theory on annihilation is that when a particle interacts with its antiparticle, the annihilation yields a decay series of particles of the opposing kind. e.g. a Proton interacts with an Antiproton, the Matter yield is nothing, but Dark Matter yield occurs (not a Dark Proton and Dark Antiproton, but can't rule out the possiblity).
Do you think its possible that matter is created from the interaction between Dark matter and Dark antimatter? Could this be an explanation for the "Big Bang" expansion of the Universe?
Whovian
Mar30-12, 10:33 AM
P: 642
Possible, but the big bang? If I'm understanding your question right, you're wondering if it's possible for the big bang to have resulted from an interaction of Dark Matter and "Dark Antimatter." According to the current theory, time didn't exist before the big bang. There was no before the big bang. And anyways, it wasn't an explosion at a certain location in space. It, erm, occurred everywhere simultaneously. (Well, sort of.) If I'm misunderstanding, could you please explain your theory in a little more detail?
Drakkith
Mar30-12, 03:42 PM
Mentor
Quote Quote by StevenJParkes View Post
Hypothetically. On the assumption that dark antimatter exists. If it does and if we could trap it, would it then be possible to use it as an energy source by making it interact with dark matter? How destructive could that be? and what other consequences might there be?
Welcome to PF Steven.
Dark antimatter isn't theorized to exist. Not only that, but dark matter itself doesn't interact via the electromagnetic force, so any supposed dark antimatter wouldn't be capable of being trapped.

The other hypothetical question that led to the above one is as follows: "Is it possible that antimatter is the source of the limit to the speed of light?
What? This question doesn't make any sense. Do you understand what antimatter actually is? I highly suggest you read up on it on wikipedia.

My thoughts regarding the above questions relate to finding a method of exceeding the speed of light for the sake of space travel some time in the future.
FTL travel isn't allowed per PF rules, as it is pure unsupported speculation.

Do you think its possible that matter is created from the interaction between Dark matter and Dark antimatter? Could this be an explanation for the "Big Bang" expansion of the Universe?
Steven, I highly suggest you read up on the basics of General Relativity, Cosmology, and Quantum Mechanics before asking questions such as these. Currently you don't seem to know enough to ask an appropriate question. If you have questions about the basic concepts in those areas feel free to ask and we would be glad to help.
StevenJParkes
Mar31-12, 09:10 AM
This is embarrassing. I meant. Is it possible that dark matter limits the speed of light. It appears to have gravitational effects.
StevenJParkes
Mar31-12, 09:27 AM
I am aware that the Big Bang occurred everywhere at the same time. I'm just speculating that this process is still happening as a possible, or impossible, explanation of the acceleration of the expansion of the universe.
phinds
Mar31-12, 09:54 AM
PF Gold
P: 6,073
Dark matter BENDS light, as has been pointed out. What do you mean by "dark matter limits the speed of light" ?

Dark matter has nothing to do with the acceleration of the expansion of the universe.

Your concepts seem to be quite garbled.

Register to reply