Dice Combinations for a Particular Sum

In summary, the problem is to determine the number of different dice combinations where the sum of all the dice is equal to a given number, r. This can be solved by counting all possible combinations and then eliminating the ones that do not add up to r using Inclusion-Exclusion. The solution can be applied to specific sets of input to find the desired result.
Chronos0
Okay, here is a problem that has been bugging me:
Say that you have n dice that each have d sides, numbered 1 through m. How many different dice combinations, out of a total of n x d possible, are there where the sum of all of the dice is equal to r, for particular n, d, and r?

I'm not necessarily looking for a general solution, though one would be great. But I would like to at least be able to compute the answer for particular sets of input.

So far, I believe I have found that answering the main question is equivalent to determining the number of (rn) -combinations in a multiset with the form

{{k1, ... , kn}, {(k1, d−1), ... , (kn, d−1)}}

Basically, starting with each die at one and counting the number of ways I can build up to the total, r, without exceeding d in any of them.

I can find a solution where d = ∞ easily enough, but I am not sure how to eliminate the illegal combinations from that using Inclusion-Exclusion.

If someone could help me finish my solution or propose an alternate, easier solution, I would be very grateful.

(Added:)
Basically, if we are using two six-sided dice, then there are six ways to add up to seven:

1+6, 2+5, 3+4, 4+3, 5+2, and 6+1.

And five ways to add up to eight:

2+6, 3+5, 4+4, 5+3, and 6+8.

Et cetera.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
A possible solution is to count all of the possible combinations (n x d) and then subtract out the combinations that do not add up to r. You can use Inclusion-Exclusion to do this, by breaking down each number that does not add up to r into its components and subtracting out those components. For example, if you have two six-sided dice and are trying to find the combinations that add up to seven, you would first count all the possible combinations (12). Then, subtract out the combinations that add up to 5, 6, 8, 9, 10, 11, and 12. This can be done by subtracting out the combinations that make up those numbers, such as 3+4 for 7, 4+3 for 7, 2+5 for 7, etc. In the end, this should give you an answer of 6, which corresponds to the number of combinations that add up to seven with two six-sided dice.

What is the probability of rolling a certain sum with a pair of dice?

The probability of rolling a certain sum with a pair of dice is determined by the number of ways that sum can be achieved divided by the total number of possible combinations. For example, the probability of rolling a sum of 7 is 1/6 or 16.67% since there are 6 possible ways to roll a 7 (1+6, 2+5, 3+4, 4+3, 5+2, and 6+1) out of a total of 36 possible combinations.

What is the most common sum when rolling two dice?

The most common sum when rolling two dice is 7. This is because there are more ways to roll a 7 (6 possible combinations) than any other sum.

Is it possible to roll a sum of 2 or 12 with two dice?

Yes, it is possible to roll a sum of 2 or 12 with two dice. However, these are the least likely sums to be rolled since there is only one possible combination for each (1+1 and 6+6, respectively).

What is the probability of rolling a sum of 11 with two dice?

The probability of rolling a sum of 11 with two dice is 1/18 or 5.56%. This is because there are only two possible combinations that can result in a sum of 11 (5+6 and 6+5) out of 36 total combinations.

How can the dice combinations for a particular sum be calculated?

The dice combinations for a particular sum can be calculated by listing out all possible combinations and counting the number of combinations that result in the desired sum. Alternatively, a mathematical formula can be used to calculate the number of combinations for any given sum, which is (n-1) where n is the desired sum. For example, to calculate the number of combinations for a sum of 8, the formula would be (8-1) = 7 combinations.