Partial Derivative Proof (thermodynamics notation)

In summary: Simplifying, we get:\left(\frac{\partial z}{\partial y}\right)_{u} = \left(\frac{\partial z}{\partial x}\right)_{
Jacobpm64

Homework Statement

Show that: [tex] \left(\frac{\partial z}{\partial y}\right)_{u} = \left(\frac{\partial z}{\partial x}\right)_{y} \left[ \left(\frac{\partial x}{\partial y}\right)_{u} - \left(\frac{\partial x}{\partial y}\right)_{z} \right] [/tex]

Homework Equations

I have Euler's chain rule and "the splitter." Also the property, called the "inverter" where you can reciprocate a partial derivative.

The Attempt at a Solution

If I write Euler's chain rule, I only know how to write it when there are 3 variables, I usually write it in the form:
[tex]\left(\frac{\partial x}{\partial y}\right)_{z} \left(\frac{\partial y}{\partial z}\right)_{x} \left(\frac{\partial z}{\partial x}\right)_{y} = -1 [/tex]

Where I can write x,y,z in any order as long as each variable is used in every spot. However, I do not know how to work this chain rule if I have an extra variable (u in this case).

I also tried using the "splitter" to do something like writing:
[tex] \left(\frac{\partial z}{\partial y} \right)_{u} = \left(\frac{\partial z}{\partial x} \right)_{u} \left(\frac{\partial x}{\partial y}\right)_{u} [/tex]

However, I do not know what to do with this because I have the term
[tex] \left(\frac{\partial z}{\partial x} \right)_{u} [/tex] , which doesn't appear in the original problem.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

(This is for a thermodynamics course, but we are still in the mathematics introduction.)

Physics news on Phys.org

Thank you for your post. I am happy to help you with this problem.

First, let's define some notation to make things clearer. Let z(x, y, u) be a function of three variables x, y, and u. We can rewrite the given equation as:

\left(\frac{\partial z}{\partial y}\right)_{u} = \left(\frac{\partial z}{\partial x}\right)_{y} \left[ \left(\frac{\partial x}{\partial y}\right)_{u} - \left(\frac{\partial x}{\partial y}\right)_{z} \right]

As you mentioned, Euler's chain rule allows us to write:

\left(\frac{\partial z}{\partial y}\right)_{u} = \left(\frac{\partial z}{\partial x}\right)_{y} \left(\frac{\partial x}{\partial y}\right)_{u}

But this is not the same as the given equation. In order to use the chain rule, we need to find a way to incorporate the extra variable u into the equation. This is where the "splitter" comes in.

We can use the "splitter" to write:

\left(\frac{\partial z}{\partial x}\right)_{y} = \left(\frac{\partial z}{\partial x}\right)_{u} \left(\frac{\partial x}{\partial y}\right)_{u}

Substituting this into our original equation, we get:

\left(\frac{\partial z}{\partial y}\right)_{u} = \left(\frac{\partial z}{\partial x}\right)_{u} \left(\frac{\partial x}{\partial y}\right)_{u} \left[ \left(\frac{\partial x}{\partial y}\right)_{u} - \left(\frac{\partial x}{\partial y}\right)_{z} \right]

Now, we can use the "inverter" property to write:

\left(\frac{\partial x}{\partial y}\right)_{u} = \frac{1}{\left(\frac{\partial y}{\partial x}\right)_{u}}

Substituting this into our equation, we get:

\left(\frac{\partial z

What is a partial derivative?

A partial derivative is a mathematical concept used in calculus to measure the rate of change of a function with respect to one of its variables while holding the other variables constant.

How is partial derivative notation used in thermodynamics?

In thermodynamics, partial derivative notation is used to represent the change in a thermodynamic variable with respect to another variable while keeping all other variables constant. This notation is commonly used to analyze and solve problems in thermodynamics.

What is the difference between partial derivative notation and total derivative notation?

The main difference between partial derivative notation and total derivative notation is that partial derivatives consider the change in one variable while holding all other variables constant, while total derivatives consider the overall change in all variables.

What is the chain rule and how is it used in partial derivative proofs?

The chain rule is a mathematical rule used to calculate the derivative of a composite function. In partial derivative proofs, the chain rule allows us to calculate the partial derivative of a function with respect to one variable by breaking it down into smaller, more manageable parts.

Why are partial derivative proofs important in thermodynamics?

Partial derivative proofs are important in thermodynamics because they allow us to analyze and understand the relationship between different thermodynamic variables. These proofs help us make predictions and solve problems related to thermodynamics, which is crucial in many scientific and engineering fields.