Solve limits by rationalizing

by famallama
Tags: limits, rationalizing, solve
Share this thread:
famallama
Sep6-08, 12:35 PM
P: 9
1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
Evaluate limit as x approaches 0 of (square root(4+x^4)-2)/x^4) algebraically by rationalizing the numerator. Show details

3. The attempt at a solution
I rationalized the numerator and i see it as there is a root in the denominator now which is when i was taught to rationalize
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
FIXD tells car drivers via smartphone what is wrong
Team pioneers strategy for creating new materials
Team defines new biodiversity metric
HallsofIvy
Sep6-08, 01:00 PM
Math
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
Thanks
PF Gold
P: 39,552
Some time ago, we had a question on this forum basically asking why you always rationalize the numerator! The answer is, of course, that you don't always- although for many basic algebra problems, such as adding fractions, that helps. I have seen texts that devote quite a lot of time to rationalizing the numerator as well.

Okay,if you have rationalized the numerator, you will have a square root in the denominator- but that doesn't hurt. It should be of the form [itex]\sqrt{4+ x^4}+ 2[/itex] which goes to 4, not 0, as x goes to 2. What happens to the rest of the fraction? That's the important thing!
famallama
Sep6-08, 01:06 PM
P: 9
that doesnt really help. I get x^4 -4(sqrt(4+x^4)) +6 on top of x^4(sqrt(4+x^))-2x^4

tiny-tim
Sep6-08, 02:49 PM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
Thanks
P: 26,148
Solve limits by rationalizing

Hi famallama!

(have a square-root: √ )
Quote Quote by famallama View Post
that doesnt really help. I get x^4 -4(sqrt(4+x^4)) +6 on top of x^4(sqrt(4+x^))-2x^4
erm the object is to have no √ on the top

Hint: your factors had a - on the top and the bottom try it with a +
HallsofIvy
Sep6-08, 02:59 PM
Math
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
Thanks
PF Gold
P: 39,552
Quote Quote by famallama View Post
Well, you shouldn't. Since "rationalizing" the numerator should get rid of the square root in the numerator, it appears you haven't done that properly. If you would show your work we might be able to clarify things.

Register to reply