Loudspeaker interference

by bcjochim07
Tags: interference, loudspeaker
Share this thread:
bcjochim07
Sep7-08, 04:27 PM
P: 374
1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
Two loudspeakers emit sound waves along the x axis. Speaker 2 is 2.0 m behind speaker 1. Both loudspeakers are connected to the same signal generator, which is oscillating at 340 Hz, but the wire to speaker 1 passes through a box that delays the signal by 1.47 ms.

Is the interference along the x axis perfect constructive, perfect destructive or something in between?

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

340 m/s = (340 Hz) * [tex]\lambda[/tex]
[tex]\lambda[/tex]= 1.0 m

First, turning to the formula deltaphi= 2pi * (deltax/wavelength)

plugging in the values delta phi = 2pi*(2.0m/1.0 m) = 4pi

and so I came up with perfect constructive.

Is this correct? I am trying to think about how the delay would affect the interference of the waves, so if anyone could offer a good explanation of why the delay does or does not affect the superposition, I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
NASA team lays plans to observe new worlds
IHEP in China has ambitions for Higgs factory
Spinach could lead to alternative energy more powerful than Popeye
alphysicist
Sep7-08, 07:52 PM
HW Helper
P: 2,249
Hi bcjochim07,

Quote Quote by bcjochim07 View Post
1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
Two loudspeakers emit sound waves along the x axis. Speaker 2 is 2.0 m behind speaker 1. Both loudspeakers are connected to the same signal generator, which is oscillating at 340 Hz, but the wire to speaker 1 passes through a box that delays the signal by 1.47 ms.

Is the interference along the x axis perfect constructive, perfect destructive or something in between?

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

340 m/s = (340 Hz) * [tex]\lambda[/tex]
[tex]\lambda[/tex]= 1.0 m

First, turning to the formula deltaphi= 2pi * (deltax/wavelength)

plugging in the values delta phi = 2pi*(2.0m/1.0 m) = 4pi

and so I came up with perfect constructive.

Is this correct? I am trying to think about how the delay would affect the interference of the waves, so if anyone could offer a good explanation of why the delay does or does not affect the superposition, I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks
The delay would determine the initial phase difference of the waves as they leave the speaker, which does have to be taken into account.
bcjochim07
Sep13-08, 09:26 PM
Ok, so the delay is .00147 s, and in .00147 s the undelayed wave from speaker two moves (.00147s)(340m/s)= .50 m.

.50m/1.0m gives an initial phase difference of half a wavelength, or pi

delta x then becomes 2m + .50 m = 2.5 m

then using the formula delta phi= 2pi*(delta x)/lambda + initial delta phi

delta phi = 2pi* (2.5)/(1.0) + pi = 6 pi. This means that complete constructive interference happens. Is this correct?

alphysicist
Sep13-08, 10:02 PM
HW Helper
P: 2,249
Loudspeaker interference

Quote Quote by bcjochim07 View Post
Ok, so the delay is .00147 s, and in .00147 s the undelayed wave from speaker two moves (.00147s)(340m/s)= .50 m.

.50m/1.0m gives an initial phase difference of half a wavelength, or pi

delta x then becomes 2m + .50 m = 2.5 m

then using the formula delta phi= 2pi*(delta x)/lambda + initial delta phi

delta phi = 2pi* (2.5)/(1.0) + pi = 6 pi. This means that complete constructive interference happens. Is this correct?
I don't believe that is correct. In your equation:

delta phi= 2pi*(delta x)/lambda + initial delta phi

you have accounted for the effect of the delay twice: in the (initial delta phi) term, and also by "pretending" that the delay meant that one wave moves 2.5 meters farther than the other. Either way would actually work, but you can only include the effect of the delay once.

So I would say the term

2pi*(delta x)/lambda

accounts for the phase shift due to the actual path length difference, so (delta x) should be 2m. And the initial delay only effects the second term.

In other words, in your original post you found the phase shift due to the path length difference; now just add the phase shift due to the delay.
bcjochim07
Sep13-08, 11:05 PM
Oh, of course, I'm not sure why I added .5 to the 2m. So, then the phase shift is 5pi, so the interference is complete destructive

Register to reply