Recommendation for Calculus Book

In summary, the conversation discusses the preference between Tom Apostol's Volume I book and Stewarts' book for understanding calculus. It is recommended to try both and see which one is preferred. Other recommended books include Calculus by Spivak and A Tour of the Calculus by D Berlinski for a deeper understanding of the subject. It is noted that Apostol is more suitable for those pursuing a PhD, while Stewart is better for a basic understanding.
Kabloom
Based on people who have maybe used both books, would Tom Apostol's Volume I book be a more preferred book than Stewarts?

I'm really aiming to understand everything and not just "know how to do the steps." This is why someone recommended Apostol to me.

I am a beginner in Calculus as well, which was a reason why he warned me against Apostol's book as well.

I have access to both books at my library so whichever one is the better I will get.

If there are any other books, can you recommend them to me as well?

Physics news on Phys.org
try both, and see which one u like better! Well, Calculus by Spivak is a good one i guess!

Once you get your feet wet and know "how"to do some calculus, try reading "A Tour of the Calculus" by D Berlinski to get an idea of what's going on in the background, what the underlying assumptions are and what makes the whole thing work. This is an informative (if offbeat) book, and it is certainly not a formal book of proofs, but it may help you understand why some of the proofs in the "real" math books are important. It helped me, anyway. I was always kind of lost in the details during math class, this book is about the big picture.

apostol (or spivak) is appropriate for people who may want to get a phd, while stewart is appropriate for people who just want a cook book acquaintance with the computations of calculus.

My calculus course uses Thomas Calc. for a textbook which i believe is very similar to Stewart, and i do use that, but i also have a copy of Apostol as a second text, and I am really happy with it. I do like them both, but i definately feel that i have a fuller understanding after reading Apostol.

What is the best calculus book for beginners?

The best calculus book for beginners is subjective and can vary based on individual learning styles. However, some popular recommendations include "Calculus: Early Transcendentals" by James Stewart, "Calculus" by Michael Spivak, and "Calculus Made Easy" by Silvanus P. Thompson.

Is it better to learn calculus from a textbook or online resources?

Both options can be effective for learning calculus. Textbooks offer a structured and comprehensive approach to learning, while online resources provide flexibility and interactive tools. It may be beneficial to use a combination of both for a well-rounded learning experience.

What are some important factors to consider when choosing a calculus book?

Important factors to consider when choosing a calculus book include the level of difficulty, the author's teaching style, the book's organization and clarity, and the availability of practice problems and solutions.

Are there any recommended calculus books for advanced learners?

For advanced learners, "Calculus: A Complete Course" by Robert A. Adams and Christopher Essex, "Advanced Calculus: A Geometric View" by James J. Callahan, and "Calculus on Manifolds" by Michael Spivak are popular choices.

Can I use an older edition of a calculus book instead of the latest one?

It is generally recommended to use the latest edition of a calculus book as it may include updated content and improved explanations. However, using an older edition is still a viable option, especially for self-study purposes.