Coulomb force on a line charge

by Kudaros
Tags: charge, coulomb, force, line
Share this thread:
Kudaros
Sep14-08, 03:11 PM
P: 19
1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

We have a source charge that is a uniform sphere with a radius a (centered at origin) and uniform charge density, [tex]\rho[/tex]. There is a line charge with a length L that begins at Z0 and ends at Z0 + L (lies on the Z axis). This line charge has a uniform charge density of [tex]\lambda[/tex].

2. Relevant equations

Ill combine this with my attempt.

3. The attempt at a solution

First, I am resolving the source charge as a point. The sphere is of a uniform charge density and centered on the origin. So the 'q' for this source charge is [tex]\frac{4}{3}\pi[/tex]*a2*[tex]\rho[/tex].

Second, I am calling the line charge L*[tex]\lambda[/tex].

My solution so far : Fq'onq(sphere/point on line charge)= [tex]\frac{\lambda*\rho*a^{3}*L}{3*\epsilon}*\frac{\vec{R}}{R^{3}}[/tex]
My problem (assuming the above is correct) is that I am uncertain how to express the vector, R, from the source charge to the line charge.

In general, I am unsure of how to express a vector from a point to a continuous distribution of charges, or even from a continuous distribution to another.
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Scientists develop 'electronic nose' for rapid detection of C. diff infection
Why plants in the office make us more productive
Tesla Motors dealing as states play factory poker
Redbelly98
Sep14-08, 04:34 PM
Mentor
P: 12,070
I don't think you can treat the line charge as a point charge, as you can do with spheres.
Kudaros
Sep14-08, 05:37 PM
P: 19
Ok I've got it.My line charge was indeed wrong.

Basically, I chose my vector to be simple. The position with respect to the source was Z*Z(hat) and I ended up integrating from Z0 to Z0+L with 1/Z2 as the integrand ( lambda is constant, was pulled out.)

Some quick simplification results in the answer in the back of the book.

I was thinking too hard about the vector I suppose.

Thank you!

Register to reply