Register to reply

How many forum members does it take to change a light bulb?

by skywise
Tags: bulb, light, members
Share this thread:
Astronuc
Nov6-06, 03:21 PM
Admin
P: 21,911
Quote Quote by Artman
Yeah, it's pretty dim. I think maybe it is you.
I bet he didn't see that coming.
twisting_edge
Nov6-06, 04:19 PM
P: 42
Where's the environmental impact statement!?!
BobG
Nov7-06, 09:19 AM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
P: 2,284
Quote Quote by radou
Don't make things too complicated, since at the beginning God said: '...and let there be a bulb.'
Yeah, but his was filled with hydrogen.

Hydrogen fuel: a clean and secure energy future

Of course, it takes a hell of a lot of PFers to change the bulb.
Lisa!
Nov7-06, 09:49 AM
PF Gold
P: 973
Quote Quote by Gokul43201
Is it just me or is it still dark in here?
turbo
Nov7-06, 10:03 AM
PF Gold
P: 7,363
That's what happens when a light bulb burns out. Light bulbs are electrically-powered darkness-suckers and when they fail, the darkness leaks back out of them. This is especially annoying in windowless rooms because the bulbs have to suck up a LOT of darkness, and when they fail, it all comes back out, making the room so dark that you have to lug in a portable hand-held darkness-sucker just to be able to change the one mounted on the ceiling.
SpaceTiger
Nov7-06, 10:20 AM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 2,977
Quote Quote by skywise
* 5 to flame the spell checkers
Mmmm...sweet fire. So many memories.

Can I do this?
Artman
Nov7-06, 11:03 AM
P: 1,591
Quote Quote by turbo-1
That's what happens when a light bulb burns out. Light bulbs are electrically-powered darkness-suckers and when they fail, the darkness leaks back out of them. This is especially annoying in windowless rooms because the bulbs have to suck up a LOT of darkness, and when they fail, it all comes back out, making the room so dark that you have to lug in a portable hand-held darkness-sucker just to be able to change the one mounted on the ceiling.
We have an outdoor light at my house that I had to put a 40 watt bulb in one time. My wife called it, "A Dark."

Can I do this?
I don't know. Can you? You may do this.

Actually, with my poor spelling and grammar, I ought to keep real quiet here.
Ki Man
May10-07, 01:32 PM
P: 555
Technically, the lightbulb is replaced, not changed.
light_bulb
May10-07, 01:39 PM
P: 198
whats a light bulb?
Office_Shredder
May10-07, 02:25 PM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 4,500
The lightbulb is a symbol of American corporatism and fascist conspiracy! Big Bulb™ is pulling the shades over the eyes of the public, and keeping us all in the dark about the evilness of bulbs. Christianity tells us:

And ye, though one shalt come who showeth the way with the bulb of light, watch not, though ye may be tempted, for ye shalt surely suffer a death of the soul worse than any mortal pain

Luce 4:13

Haliburton spent forty billion dollars on light bulb advertisement last year. Why? Because they secretly implanted a brain control generator in each light bulb they sold! You're all mindless consumer slaves, bent to the will of Big Bulb™ and its subsidiaries!!!! Don't let them take you, or you'll never be free again!!!

The war in Iraq isn't about terrorism or oil, it's about bulbs!!! Hussein was a liberal-minded safety conscious man, who banned light bulbs in order to protect his people!!! Haliburton wanted to expand their market, so they told Bush to invade Iraq so they could give people light bulbs!!! Same thing with Cuba!!! Castro banned light bulbs in 1985, and since then his people may be poor, but at least they're free!! The Bay of Pigs was actually about smuggling light bulbs into the country, so they could mind control people!!! It worked!!! That's why people still try to sail to america!!!

If you do not post this message at least ten times by tomorrow, the ghost of a friend will haunt you for a year. If you do, your true love will surprise you with a present next friday!
BobG
May10-07, 04:47 PM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
P: 2,284
Quote Quote by Ki Man View Post
Technically, the lightbulb is replaced, not changed.
Once again, you've completely missed the point of the process.

Light bulbs are an aesthetic means of setting tungsten atoms free into the atmosphere. The tungsten filament in a light bulb can reach 4000 degrees Fahrenheit. At that temperature, tungsten atoms will fly off of the filament and collect on the inside of the bulb's glass. The glass quickly darkens and the filament quickly disintegrates. To force a more even and complete disintegration (and to prolong the pleasure), light bulbs are filled with argon gas which bounces many of the tungsten atoms right back onto the filament. Eventually, the filament will have expelled so many tungsten atoms it will disintegrate.

Once the filament has disintegrated to the point that it's no longer possible to heat it via an electric current, the next phase of the transformation begins. The bulb now has a nice coating of tungsten atoms on the inside of the glass and is normally placed in a packing container prior to shipment to the local landfill. (As a side effect, a socket is now available to begin the transformation process on a new light bulb).

The bulb is then transported via truck to the landfill. If properly packaged, the other contents in the package will crush the bulb freeing the tungsten atoms into the local environment. If all goes well, the tungsten will leach into the local water table, where it will be ingested by livestock, animals and humans. In the human body, it's believed by some that a large enough concentration of tungsten can undergo one final transformation, participating in the development of luekemia.

The act of removing a light bulb from the socket and placing in an approved packing container for shipment is just one change in a multi-step transformation. You shouldn't focus in on one step in a major change process. It's important not to lose sight of the forest for trees.
mathwonk
May10-07, 08:56 PM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
P: 9,499
i love the original post. i am not going to m ake it come true by reading any of the others.
mbrmbrg
May10-07, 09:04 PM
P: 494
Has anybody mentioned the 12.4 PFers who need to PM mentors to tell them there's a blown lightbulb?
NoTime
May11-07, 08:33 AM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
P: 1,571
If a light bulb burns out in a room and there is no one around to see it...
Does it still get dark?
Office_Shredder
May11-07, 09:13 AM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 4,500
Quote Quote by mezarashi View Post
Hi,

I'm the guy 3 years from the original post, and I've changed light bulbs in the past too! They're great!
No! Light bulbs are vile, twisted creations. Just look at the evidence

http://media.www.dailynorthwestern.c...-1904905.shtml

Burnt-out bulb causes fire
http://www.wnd.com/news/article.asp?ARTICLE_ID=55213

So, last month, the Prospect, Maine, resident went out and bought two dozen CFLs and began installing them in her home. One broke. A month later, her daughter's bedroom remains sealed off with plastic like the site of a hazardous materials accident, while Bridges works on a way to pay off a $2,000 estimate by a company specializing in environmentally sound cleanups of the mercury inside the bulb.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phoebus_cartel

The cartel served as a convenient way to lower costs and decrease the life expectancy of light bulbs, while at the same time hiking prices, without fear of competition. Standardisation of Lightbulbs was another side-effect of the cartel.

The Phoebus Cartel divided the world’s lamp markets into three categories:

1. home territories, the home country of individual manufacturers
2. British overseas territories, under control of Associated Electrical Industries, Osram, Phillips, and Tungsram
3. common territory, the rest of the world
http://www.osha.gov/dts/hib/hib_data/hib19970715.html

Potential Fire with Florescent Light Bulbs
http://hps.org/publicinformation/ate/q5304.html

The light bulbs that you refer to are most likely "Compact Fluorescent"
bulbs. These light bulbs may contain the radioactive material
promethium-147 (147Pm) in a "sealed glow (starter) switch."
The amount of 147Pm in each bulb can be 0.33 microcuries (the same as
330 nanocuries or nanoCi). Such light bulbs also contain mercury
metal-vapor and phosphor powder, which are hazardous materials. An
example of an MSDS for such light bulbs is
The research shows it's obvious.... light bulbs are designed to destroy civilization, and this fact is suppressed by a cartel of the most powerful corporations in history! They must be stopped now!
Evo
Jan22-10, 04:37 PM
Mentor
P: 26,659
Time to bump this, start with the first post.
Dembadon
Jan22-10, 05:04 PM
PF Gold
P: 641
Can we add:

* 2 (Dave and Leroy) to argue with each other over semantics for 3 pages, eventually going back and forth about things which have nothing to do with light bulbs or their installation.
Evo
Jan22-10, 05:10 PM
Mentor
P: 26,659
Quote Quote by Dembadon View Post
Can we add:

* 2 (Dave and Leroy) to argue with each other over semantics for 3 pages, eventually going back and forth about things which have nothing to do with light bulbs or their installation.
Lol.

Register to reply