Current and Avogadro's Number

by Ithryndil
Tags: avogadro, current, number
Share this thread:
Ithryndil
Sep18-08, 06:23 PM
P: 142
1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

The electron beam emerging from a certain high-energy electron accelerator has a circular cross section of radius 1.20 mm.
(a) The beam current is 7.75 ľA. Find the current density in the beam assuming it is uniform throughout.
correct check mark A/m2

(b) The speed of the electrons is so close to the speed of light that their speed can be taken as 300 Mm/s with negligible error. Find the electron density in the beam.
correct check mark m-3

(c) Over what time interval does Avogadro's number of electrons emerge from the accelerator?
s

2. Relevant equations

[tex]J=I/A[/tex]
[tex]I_{avg} = nqv_{d}A

3. The attempt at a solution

Part a and b are straight forward.

For part a I have: 1.71 A/m^2

For part b I have: 3.565 x 10^10 m^-3

I am having issues with part c. I know I need to figure out how many electrons are leaving the wire per second and then from there it should be a straight division problem using the 6.022 x 10^23 for Avogradro's number.
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Bees able to spot which flowers offer best rewards before landing
Classic Lewis Carroll character inspires new ecological model
When cooperation counts: Researchers find sperm benefit from grouping together in mice
LowlyPion
Sep18-08, 07:50 PM
HW Helper
P: 5,343
Quote Quote by Ithryndil View Post
1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

The electron beam emerging from a certain high-energy electron accelerator has a circular cross section of radius 1.20 mm.
(a) The beam current is 7.75 ľA. Find the current density in the beam assuming it is uniform throughout.
correct check mark A/m2

(b) The speed of the electrons is so close to the speed of light that their speed can be taken as 300 Mm/s with negligible error. Find the electron density in the beam.
correct check mark m-3

(c) Over what time interval does Avogadro's number of electrons emerge from the accelerator?
s

2. Relevant equations

[tex]J=I/A[/tex]
[tex]I_{avg} = nqv_{d}A[/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution

Part a and b are straight forward.

For part a I have: 1.71 A/m^2

For part b I have: 3.565 x 10^10 m^-3

I am having issues with part c. I know I need to figure out how many electrons are leaving the wire per second and then from there it should be a straight division problem using the 6.022 x 10^23 for Avogradro's number.
Think of it as a bucket. How long to fill'er up.

So what's the definition of an ampere?
Ithryndil
Sep18-08, 08:02 PM
P: 142
Right...an ampere is a coulomb per second. So we take the current which is a coulomb per second and divide it by the elementary charge to get the number of electrons per second. Afterwards it's a simple division of avogadro's number by the aforementioned number...far easier than I anticipated. Sometimes your mind can just be clouded.

Register to reply