Understanding the Acceleration of a Bureau on a Rough Surface

• Thread starter musicfairy
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Friction
In summary, the acceleration of the bureau on a rough horizontal surface is 0.98 m/s2 when a constant horizontal force is applied, due to the subtraction of kinetic friction from static friction. This is because the static friction is greater than the kinetic friction, causing the surplus force to contribute to the acceleration of the bureau.
musicfairy

Homework Statement

A bureau rests on a rough horizontal surface ([tex]\mu[/tex]s = 0.50, [tex]\mu[/tex]k = 0.40). A constant horizontal force, just sufficient to start the bureau in motion, is then applied. The acceleration of the bureau is:

A. 0
B. 0.98 m/s2
C. 3.3 m/s2
D. 4.5 m/s2
E. 8.9 m/s2

The Attempt at a Solution

The answer is B and I can't figure out why. I tried to use only [tex]\mu[/tex]s and set friction equal to ma. It gave me C.

I can see where B comes from, kinetic friction is subtracted from static friction. Can someone explain why?

Physics news on Phys.org
musicfairy said:

Homework Statement

A bureau rests on a rough horizontal surface ([tex]\mu[/tex]s = 0.50, [tex]\mu[/tex]k = 0.40). A constant horizontal force, just sufficient to start the bureau in motion, is then applied. The acceleration of the bureau is:

A. 0
B. 0.98 m/s2
C. 3.3 m/s2
D. 4.5 m/s2
E. 8.9 m/s2

The Attempt at a Solution

The answer is B and I can't figure out why. I tried to use only [tex]\mu[/tex]s and set friction equal to ma. It gave me C.

I can see where B comes from, kinetic friction is subtracted from static friction. Can someone explain why?

The static friction is greater than the kinetic friction. Moving a bureau across a carpet for instance once you get it going you want to keep it going because, once it stops, its harder to get going again.

That's what the problem is telling you. Once the bureau starts - it breaks the Static friction, then the only retarding force is the Kinetic friction. But it is .1 lower. So the surplus .1 goes into accelerating things.

Thanks a lot. I understand now.

1. What is friction and how does it affect a bureau?

Friction is the resistance force that occurs when two surfaces are in contact and trying to move against each other. In the context of a bureau, friction can make it difficult to open or close drawers, or make the bureau difficult to move.

2. How can I reduce friction on a bureau?

There are a few ways to reduce friction on a bureau. One option is to lubricate the moving parts, such as the drawer slides or casters, with a lubricant like WD-40. Another option is to use furniture polish on the surfaces that come in contact with each other. Adjusting the positioning of the bureau or tightening any loose screws or bolts can also help reduce friction.

3. Can friction damage a bureau?

Excessive friction can cause wear and tear on the surfaces of a bureau, such as scratches or dents. It can also cause the moving parts to become worn or damaged over time. It's important to address friction problems on a bureau to prevent any potential damage.

4. What are some common causes of friction on a bureau?

The most common cause of friction on a bureau is the materials used for the surfaces and moving parts. For example, wooden drawers on a wooden bureau may have more friction than metal drawers on a metal bureau. Other factors that can contribute to friction include humidity and temperature, as well as any debris or dust buildup on the surfaces.

5. How can I prevent future friction problems on a bureau?

To prevent future friction problems on a bureau, it's important to regularly clean and maintain the surfaces and moving parts. This can include dusting and wiping down the bureau, as well as periodically lubricating the moving parts. Choosing furniture with materials that have lower friction, such as metal or plastic, can also help prevent friction problems in the long term.