Rice Pudding and other things that are wrong

by Evo
Tags: food
Evo
Sep27-08, 09:16 PM
Mentor
P: 25,958
Quote Quote by Redbelly98 View Post
When I was growing up, my oldest brother (and possibly others in my family) were put off that my favorite kind sandwich was bologna on raisin-bread.
OH DEAR GOD!

And, for a couple of years as a teenager, I liked putting orange juice on vanilla ice cream.
Ok, that I can see, just think orange dreamsicles.
Evo
Sep27-08, 09:21 PM
Mentor
Quote Quote by ZapperZ View Post
Oh no, no Wonder bread here (Wonder bread and most typical supermarket sliced bread are banned in this house). You need a bread that either have some structure to it (good day-old french bread) or something with buttery flavor like brioche. And I use "half and half", i.e. half whole milk, and half heavy cream (told you it was artery-clogging). It adds to the creaminess of the pudding.

Zz.
See, that sounds delicious. What my grandmother made was bland and horrid.

But the woman made the BEST yorkshire pudding and roast beef gravy on the planet.

The worst thing my mother ever fed me was cold tripe with Wishbone bottled Italian dressing poured over it. I truly thought I was going to die. I think I was 8. I can still see that like it was an hour ago.
Redbelly98
Sep27-08, 09:31 PM
Mentor
P: 11,989
Quote Quote by edward View Post
As a child I liked jello, until eighth grade science class where I learned how gelatin is made.
Oh, uh, by the way, you might want to ease off on the Soylent Green crackers too.
Janus
Sep27-08, 09:51 PM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 2,352
Hmm, love rice pudding. Carrot-raisin salad is the only "salad" I liked as a child.

Rutabagas (yellow turnips), great raw, horrid cooked, and one of the best ways to ruin a stew.

Green peppers, ugh!

Cinnamon rolls: I don't dislike them, I'm more indifferent. You see, my mom baked a lot, and the one thing she baked the most was cinnamon rolls (My dad liked them with coffee). We always had cinnamon rolls on hand. They were nothing special. (the only exception was she made them caramel rolls, or as we called them, "gooey rolls".

A typical conversation:

"Mom, is there anything to eat?"

"Yes, cinnamon rolls."

"Anything else?"

That and homemade bread. we thought it "treat" when we went to a friend's house and got "store bread". The grass is always greener, right?
lisab
Sep27-08, 10:07 PM
Mentor
P: 2,917
When I was growing up, my oldest brother (and possibly others in my family) were put off that my favorite kind sandwich was bologna on raisin-bread.

And, for a couple of years as a teenager, I liked putting orange juice on vanilla ice cream. Think rootbeer floats, with O.J. instead of rootbeer. Until one day I took a bite and was utterly disgusted! How is it possible I ever enjoyed eating that?
I *loved* peanut butter and fried bologna sandwiches when I was a kid! And I probably still do, but I don't eat bologna anymore...
tribdog
Sep27-08, 10:12 PM
P: 689
I've never put orange juice on ice cream, but I do like dreamsicles. Sort of the same thing. My mom used to make macaroni and milk. that's all it was macaroni boiled in milk and lots of pepper. I loved it, but everyone tells me I'm weird and that it's gross.
Redbelly98
Sep27-08, 10:14 PM
Mentor
P: 11,989
Quote Quote by Evo View Post
... just think orange dreamsicles.
MMMMMmmmmmh ... dreamsicles ... aaaaahhhhhrrrrr

Quote Quote by lisab View Post
I *loved* peanut butter and fried bologna sandwiches when I was a kid! And I probably still do, but I don't eat bologna anymore...
Yeah, over the years I've lost my appetite for bologna, and liverwurst too. Two things I loved as a pre-teen.
lisab
Sep27-08, 10:18 PM
Mentor
P: 2,917

Yeah, over the years I've lost my appetite for bologna, and liverwurst too. Too things I loved as a pre-teen.
I used to love Vienna sausages, too...totally to me now.
Evo
Sep27-08, 10:24 PM
Mentor
Braunschwieger...MMMMMMM.

I love it mixed with cream cheese, butter and onions, then spread on a bagle.

I have some in my fridge right now.
Math Is Hard
Sep27-08, 10:26 PM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 4,921
Quote Quote by edward View Post
Isn't there some kind of therapy for that? A twelve step program prehaps starting out with watered down mayo.
Watered down mayo? Ugh. You're making it worse.
Evo
Sep27-08, 10:29 PM
Mentor
Did your moms make the same thing every night of the week?

Each weeknight was the same. Monday - spaghetti, Tuesday - meatloaf, Wednesday - fried chicken, Thursday - hot dogs/hamburgers, Friday - fish (we were Roman Catholic), Saturday - steak cooked until it was unidentifiable, Sunday - roast beef and yorkshire pudding.

You knew what you were having for dinner based on which day it was.
tribdog
Sep27-08, 10:32 PM
You ate every day? Well aren't we la-di-da.
Evo
Sep27-08, 10:35 PM
Mentor
Quote Quote by tribdog View Post
You ate every day? Well aren't we la-di-da.
scorpa
Sep27-08, 11:07 PM
P: 376
I have an old aunt that used to make raisin pie, we always used to have to have a big slice when we went to her house and I hated the stuff. Loved the aunt, hated the pie.
hypatia
Sep28-08, 12:01 AM
P: 1,296
My Mom only made American food and really had no concept of herbs and spices.
Eating food from other countries happened when we ate out, and with 6 kids that didn't happen very often.
tribdog
Sep28-08, 12:07 AM
Quote Quote by hypatia View Post
My Mom only made American food and really had no concept of herbs and spices.
Eating food from other countries happened when we ate out, and with 6 kids that didn't happen very often.
the only herbs and spices my mom knew were the 11 from the colonel. You know what? it turns out the 11 herbs and spices were just salt and pepper. At least that's what I heard. Despite the fact that my mom knew nothing about herbs and spices I'm pretty sure I gave her a spice rack for Mother's Day at least 9 times.
hypatia
Sep28-08, 12:19 AM
P: 1,296
I guess that beats dusting the old ones. When my parents retired, the spice rack was sold at her yard sale, still full of 25 yr old spices.
Ivan Seeking
Sep28-08, 12:49 AM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 12,493
I'm with Zapper and friends: I love rice pudding.

Probably the worst thing that I have ever tasted by accident was French roast coffee with tabasco in it.

My Grandmother used to like brains and eggplant, but she never made us eat any.

As a kid, my freind's dad once made us a Danish breakfast: Toast covered with lots of bacon grease and maple syrup...and bacon on the side, of course.

Register to reply