Help solving a third degree polynomial

In summary: Yes, you bring up a good point that I had neglected to mention. If the polynomial in question happens to be a perfect cube, then this method won't get you anywhere. However if it is a perfect cube, when you put the polynomial into the form x^3+C_1x^2+C_2x+C_3, the constant term C_3 will be the cube of the triple root as we can see from the fact that (x-a)^3=x^3-3ax^2+3a^2x-a^3.
jeffmarina

Homework Statement

x^2(4x + 13) = 9

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Answers are that x = -3, -1 and 3/4. But how can one compute this other than trial and error?

Physics news on Phys.org
First step is to try expanding it into the form [itex]Ax^3 +Bx^2+Cx+D=0[/itex]. What do you get when you do this?

4x^3 + 13x^2 +0x -9 = 0

Okay good, you can get rid of the 0x term though :)

The next step is to recognize that since this is a third degree polynomial, there will be three roots; let's call them [itex]x_1[/itex], [itex]x_2[/itex], and [itex]x_3[/itex]. This means that [itex]4(x-x_1)(x-x_2)(x-x_3)=0=4x^3+13x^2-9[/itex]. Expand the expression on the left. What do you get?

If you did not already know the solutions, you could use the "rational root theorem": if x= m/n is a rational number satisfying a polynomial equation then n must evenly divide the leading coefficient and m must evenly divide the constant term.

Here, those are 4 and -9. The integers that evenly divide 4 are [itex]\pm 1[/itex], [itex]\pm 2[/itex] and [itex]\pm 4[/itex]. The integers that evenly divide 9 are [itex]\pm 1[/itex], [itex]\pm 3[/itex], and [itex]\pm 9[/itex]. That means that the only possible rational roots are [itex]\pm 1[/itex], [itex]\pm 1/2[/itex], [itex]\pm 1/4[/itex], [itex]\pm 3[/itex], [itex]\pm 3/2[/itex], [itex]\pm 3/4[/itex], [itex]\pm 9[/itex], [itex]\pm 9/2[/itex], and [itex]\pm 9/4[/itex]. Check each of those to see if one of them satisfies the equation. (And notice that the solutions you give are among those.)

See mathworld.wolfram.com/CubicFormula.html

Of course, there exist cubic equations that have no rational roots. In such a case, you would have to use the (extremely complicated) cubic formula.

gabbagabbahey said:
Okay good, you can get rid of the 0x term though :)

The next step is to recognize that since this is a third degree polynomial, there will be three roots; let's call them [itex]x_1[/itex], [itex]x_2[/itex], and [itex]x_3[/itex]. This means that [itex]4(x-x_1)(x-x_2)(x-x_3)=0=4x^3+13x^2-9[/itex]. Expand the expression on the left. What do you get?
Hi, gabba just want to make sure I understand your method here. Is it possible that this may not work for some polynomials since we may end up with a cubic equation of a variable say x_1 ? Which of course leads us back to square one.

Defennder said:
Hi, gabba just want to make sure I understand your method here. Is it possible that this may not work for some polynomials since we may end up with a cubic equation of a variable say x_1 ? Which of course leads us back to square one.

Yes, you bring up a good point that I had neglected to mention. If the polynomial in question happens to be a perfect cube, then this method won't get you anywhere. However if it is a perfect cube, when you put the polynomial into the form [itex] x^3+C_1x^2+C_2x+C_3[/itex], the constant term [itex]C_3[/itex] will be the cube of the triple root as we can see from the fact that [itex](x-a)^3=x^3-3ax^2+3a^2x-a^3[/itex].

But is this guaranteed to work if the polynomial isn't a perfect cube ? ie. One would only have to work with quadratics at most ?

1. How do I solve a third degree polynomial?

To solve a third degree polynomial, also known as a cubic equation, you can use the cubic formula or factor it into a product of linear and quadratic expressions.

2. What is the cubic formula?

The cubic formula is a formula used to solve cubic equations of the form ax³ + bx² + cx + d = 0. It involves finding the roots of the equation using complex numbers.

3. How do I factor a third degree polynomial?

To factor a third degree polynomial, you can use the rational root theorem to find possible rational roots, and then use synthetic division or long division to factor it into a product of linear and quadratic expressions.

4. Can I use the quadratic formula to solve a third degree polynomial?

No, the quadratic formula can only be used to solve quadratic equations. For third degree polynomials, you will need to use the cubic formula or factor it into linear and quadratic expressions.

5. What are the possible number of solutions for a third degree polynomial?

A third degree polynomial can have up to three solutions, as it is a cubic equation. However, it is possible for the equation to have less than three solutions or no real solutions at all.