Register to reply

Finding distance using force, acceleration, time

by xmflea
Tags: acceleration, distance, force, time
Share this thread:
xmflea
Oct1-08, 01:20 PM
P: 44
A dockworker applies a constant horizontal force of 89.0N to a block of ice on a smooth horizontal floor. The frictional force is negligible. The block starts from rest and moves a distance 12.5m in a time 5.10s .
A)What is the mass of the block of ice?
B)If the worker stops pushing at the end of 5.10s , how far does the block move in the next 5.30s ?

2. Relevant equations: F=ma

3. The attempt at a solution: well i was able to solve part A by using the equation
deltaD=(v1+v2)/deltaT to find v2. and then i used a=(v2-v1)/deltaT and plugged it into F=ma to find the mass.
For part B, i tried using the same equation for finding distance, however it could not be done cause i do not know how to find v2, and if i plug in 0 as v2, i get a wrong answer.

so basically i need help in solving part B of this problem. thanks.
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
FIXD tells car drivers via smartphone what is wrong
Team pioneers strategy for creating new materials
Team defines new biodiversity metric
LowlyPion
Oct1-08, 01:27 PM
HW Helper
P: 5,341
Quote Quote by xmflea View Post
A dockworker applies a constant horizontal force of 89.0N to a block of ice on a smooth horizontal floor. The frictional force is negligible. The block starts from rest and moves a distance 12.5m in a time 5.10s .
A)What is the mass of the block of ice?
B)If the worker stops pushing at the end of 5.10s , how far does the block move in the next 5.30s ?

2. Relevant equations: F=ma

3. The attempt at a solution: well i was able to solve part A by using the equation
deltaD=(v1+v2)/deltaT to find v2. and then i used a=(v2-v1)/deltaT and plugged it into F=ma to find the mass.
For part B, i tried using the same equation for finding distance, however it could not be done cause i do not know how to find v2, and if i plug in 0 as v2, i get a wrong answer.

so basically i need help in solving part B of this problem. thanks.
Welcome to PF.

Don't you want to consider the relationship between x, a, and t?

x= 1/ 2 * a * t2

If you find a, then F = ma gives you the mass as I think you already know.

Part b can be determined by finding the V from

V2 = 2*a*x

That times t gives you distance.
xmflea
Oct1-08, 01:42 PM
you mean V^2=2 x .96 x 12.5? that gives me V=4.9, which i already had to use for part A. and if i do 4.9 x 0.2s. i get .98m, which is not the right distance

xmflea
Oct1-08, 01:48 PM
Finding distance using force, acceleration, time

oh wait nvm, i was reading the question wrong, i thought it was asking what the distance was after 5.3 seconds from 5.1 seconds. i didnt know it meant it was asking the distance after 5.3 MORE seconds. thanks, i got the right answer now.

Register to reply