Finding distance using force, acceleration, time

In summary, a dockworker applies a constant horizontal force of 89.0N to a block of ice on a smooth horizontal floor. The frictional force is negligible. The block starts from rest and moves a distance 12.5m in a time 5.10s. Using the equations deltaD=(v1+v2)/deltaT and a=(v2-v1)/deltaT, the mass of the block was found. To solve for the distance the block moves after the worker stops pushing at the end of 5.10s, the equation V2 = 2*a*x was used, where x is the initial distance of 12.5m. The distance was then determined to be
xmflea
A dockworker applies a constant horizontal force of 89.0N to a block of ice on a smooth horizontal floor. The frictional force is negligible. The block starts from rest and moves a distance 12.5m in a time 5.10s .
A)What is the mass of the block of ice?
B)If the worker stops pushing at the end of 5.10s , how far does the block move in the next 5.30s ?

2. Homework Equations : F=ma

3. The Attempt at a Solution : well i was able to solve part A by using the equation
deltaD=(v1+v2)/deltaT to find v2. and then i used a=(v2-v1)/deltaT and plugged it into F=ma to find the mass.
For part B, i tried using the same equation for finding distance, however it could not be done cause i do not know how to find v2, and if i plug in 0 as v2, i get a wrong answer.

so basically i need help in solving part B of this problem. thanks.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
xmflea said:
A dockworker applies a constant horizontal force of 89.0N to a block of ice on a smooth horizontal floor. The frictional force is negligible. The block starts from rest and moves a distance 12.5m in a time 5.10s .
A)What is the mass of the block of ice?
B)If the worker stops pushing at the end of 5.10s , how far does the block move in the next 5.30s ?

2. Homework Equations : F=ma

3. The Attempt at a Solution : well i was able to solve part A by using the equation
deltaD=(v1+v2)/deltaT to find v2. and then i used a=(v2-v1)/deltaT and plugged it into F=ma to find the mass.
For part B, i tried using the same equation for finding distance, however it could not be done cause i do not know how to find v2, and if i plug in 0 as v2, i get a wrong answer.

so basically i need help in solving part B of this problem. thanks.

Welcome to PF.

Don't you want to consider the relationship between x, a, and t?

x= 1/ 2 * a * t2

If you find a, then F = ma gives you the mass as I think you already know.

Part b can be determined by finding the V from

V2 = 2*a*x

That times t gives you distance.

you mean V^2=2 x .96 x 12.5? that gives me V=4.9, which i already had to use for part A. and if i do 4.9 x 0.2s. i get .98m, which is not the right distance

oh wait nvm, i was reading the question wrong, i thought it was asking what the distance was after 5.3 seconds from 5.1 seconds. i didnt know it meant it was asking the distance after 5.3 MORE seconds. thanks, i got the right answer now.

1. How do force, acceleration, and time relate to finding distance?

According to Newton's second law of motion, force is directly proportional to acceleration and inversely proportional to mass. This means that the greater the force applied, the greater the acceleration, and the less time it takes for an object to travel a certain distance. Therefore, by knowing the force, acceleration, and time, we can calculate the distance traveled.

2. What are the units of measurement for force, acceleration, time, and distance?

Force is measured in Newtons (N), acceleration is measured in meters per second squared (m/s^2), time is measured in seconds (s), and distance is measured in meters (m).

3. Can we use this formula to find the distance of any object in motion?

Yes, this formula can be used for any object in motion as long as we have the values of force, acceleration, and time. However, it is important to note that this formula assumes uniform acceleration, which may not always be the case in real-world scenarios.

4. How does air resistance affect the calculation of distance using force, acceleration, and time?

Air resistance, or drag, can impact the acceleration of an object, which in turn affects the distance traveled. In most cases, air resistance causes objects to slow down, resulting in a decrease in acceleration and distance traveled. However, in some cases, air resistance can also increase the acceleration and distance traveled.

5. Can we use this formula to find the distance of an object in free fall?

Yes, this formula can be used to find the distance of an object in free fall as long as we have the values of force (gravity), acceleration (9.8 m/s^2), and time. In free fall, the only force acting on the object is gravity, so the formula becomes distance = (gravity * time^2) / 2.