Easy scientific measurement

by NateTheGreat
Tags: measurement, scientific
NateTheGreat
Oct7-08, 12:58 AM
P: 4
1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

The Shadow cast by a vertical pillar in Alexandria at noon during the summer solstice is found to be 1/8 the height of the pillar. The distance between Alexandria and Syene is 1/8 the Earth's radius. Is there a geometric connection between these two 1-to-8 ratios?

2. Relevant equations

Not sure exactly what kind of answer they are looking for here.
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Going nuts? Turkey looks to pistachios to heat new eco-city
Space-tested fluid flow concept advances infectious disease diagnoses
SpaceX launches supplies to space station (Update)
tiny-tim
Oct7-08, 04:28 AM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
Thanks
P: 26,167
Quote Quote by NateTheGreat View Post
The Shadow cast by a vertical pillar in Alexandria at noon during the summer solstice is found to be 1/8 the height of the pillar. The distance between Alexandria and Syene is 1/8 the Earth's radius. Is there a geometric connection between these two 1-to-8 ratios?
Hi NateTheGreat! Welcome to PF!

You've left out that at noon during the summer solstice, the sun at Syene is directly overhead.

(I know that 'cos this is a well-known experiment by Eratosthenes in about 200 BC )

Does that help?
NateTheGreat
Oct7-08, 12:10 PM
P: 4
Quote Quote by tiny-tim View Post
Hi NateTheGreat! Welcome to PF!

You've left out that at noon during the summer solstice, the sun at Syene is directly overhead.

(I know that 'cos this is a well-known experiment by Eratosthenes in about 200 BC )

Does that help?
Ah! So then would that explain why they are both 1/8 of the Earth's radius? I'm trying to figure out what they mean by a "geometric connection"?

Sakha
Oct7-08, 01:45 PM
P: 295

Easy scientific measurement

Look at this flashy simulation of the experiment, it is a demo but you can see from it the basic geometry used.

Here

Register to reply