Solving Solubility Problem 1: Precipitate Disappearance

• Thread starter cncbmb
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Solubility
In summary, in this conversation, the problem being discussed is why a precipitate formed in a reaction does not disappear after the addition of aqueous ammonia, but does disappear after the addition of sodium thiosulfate. It is explained that the ammonia complex is not stable enough to dissolve the precipitate, and the addition of sodium thiosulfate changes the equilibrium between the precipitate and the complexing agent, leading to the disappearance of the precipitate.
cncbmb
1. The Problem

The Following Steps Occur in Order:
a. Aqueous silver nitrate is added to a sodium bromide solution to form a white precipitate.
b. Aqeuous ammonia is added to the above. The contents of the container change color slightly and there is still a precipitate.
c. After step b, sodium thiosulfate is added and all of the precipitate disappears.

Part 1: Explain why the precipitate disappears in step c.
Part 2: Find the reaction that occurs in part c.

Homework Equations

none

3. Attempt to Solve the Problem

After step a, we have silver bromide, which is the initial precipitate.

After step b, I thought that we had $Ag(NH_3)_2^{+}$ and some bromide and nitrate anions, so I predicted that there wouldn't be a precipitate. My prediction was wrong and I realized that I made an error in tracing the reactions.

I. Why is there still a precipitate at the end of part b?

II. Why does the addition of sodium thiosulfate make the precipitates disappear?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
It all depends on the equilibrium between precipitate and the complexing agent. Ammonia complex is not stable enough to dissolve AgBr (although it is stable enough to dissolve AgCl).

Part 1: The precipitate disappears in step c because sodium thiosulfate reacts with silver bromide to form a soluble complex, which can be easily dissolved in the solution. This reaction is known as a complexation reaction, where a complex is formed between two or more molecules.

Part 2: The reaction that occurs in step c is:
2AgBr + 2Na2S2O3 → Ag2S2O3 + 2NaBr
This reaction forms a soluble complex, silver thiosulfate, which dissolves in the solution and causes the precipitate to disappear.

Part 3:
I. There is still a precipitate at the end of part b because the addition of aqueous ammonia does not change the chemical composition of the precipitate. It only slightly changes the color due to the formation of a small amount of silver hydroxide, but the majority of the precipitate is still silver bromide.

II. The addition of sodium thiosulfate makes the precipitate disappear because it reacts with the silver bromide to form a soluble complex, as explained in part 1. This complex can be easily dissolved in the solution, causing the precipitate to disappear.

1. How can I determine the solubility of a substance?

The solubility of a substance can be determined by conducting a solubility test, which involves adding the substance to a known amount of solvent and observing if it dissolves or forms a precipitate. The solubility can also be found in reference materials such as solubility tables or databases.

2. What factors affect the solubility of a substance?

The solubility of a substance can be affected by several factors, including temperature, pressure, and the presence of other substances in the solution. Additionally, the molecular structure and polarity of the substance can also impact its solubility.

3. How do I calculate the solubility of a substance?

The solubility of a substance can be calculated using the solubility product constant (Ksp) equation, which takes into account the concentrations of the ions in solution. It is important to note that the Ksp value may vary depending on temperature and other conditions.

4. Why does a precipitate disappear when a common ion is added?

A precipitate may disappear when a common ion is added because the additional ion decreases the solubility of the substance, causing it to dissolve in the solution. This is known as the common ion effect.

5. How can I solve solubility problems involving precipitate disappearance?

To solve a solubility problem involving precipitate disappearance, you will need to determine the initial concentrations of the ions in solution, use the Ksp equation to calculate the solubility, and then factor in any common ions that may affect the solubility. Finally, compare the calculated solubility to the initial concentration to determine if a precipitate will form or disappear.