Ever-increasing pagefile usage

• Thread starter ehrenfest
  • Start date
In summary, the pagefile usage on the Latitude D620 keeps increasing the longer the computer is left on, and restarting the computer isn't always an option because some processes use a disproportionate amount of memory.
ehrenfest
I've recently noticed that the pagefile usage on my Latitude D620 with the Windows XP operating system keeps increasing the longer I leave my computer on. Eventually it gets so large like to 1.3 gigabytes so that things run significantly slower. It increases gradually even though I close applications after I used them, so the problem is not just that I have too many applications open.

Of course, I can always restart my computer and the pagefile usage returns to 0.4 gigabytes or so. But restarting my computer is kind of annoying when I am the middle of something. So, I wanted to know whether there is a way to keep the pagefile usage low. I don't see any reason why there shouldn't be. I mean I don't see any reason why the pagefile usage needs to keep growing the longer you leave your computer on. It just seems like the operating system isn't garbage collecting or something.

Computer science news on Phys.org
Well page file is just virtual memory, so getting more RAM should help. It seems there is some program that might be running in the background that has a memory leak or something of this nature. Take the standard debugging approach, disable then enable your start up programs one by one to find out which program is causing the problem.

Thanks. Getting more RAM isn't really an option. The second approach would probably work but it would take SOOO much time since I have tons of processes running in the background (79 right now). I know I don't need most of them.

It would be nice if I could download some software that would tell me which process is consuming the most memory. Well, actually the Window's Task Manager does say how much memory each process is using. So, I will let my computer run for a while and see if there is one process using a disproportionate amount of memory. Anything that uses page file should show up in the processes tab of Window's Task Manager, right?

"Ever increasing" = memory leak.

Hit ctl+alt+del and check the memory usage of your programs to find the culprit.

And run virus and adware scans. Sometimes they do things like that.

Do you play youtube videos?
I recently discovered that if I let flash/youtube/imeem/radio play for more than one hour everything starts getting slow. I recently updated something ... (Abode or flash software .. )

Just try to find what you updated recently.

I have never explicitly added anything to the list of start-up processes but there are definitely some things on that list that were not on it when I bought this computer. Is there a way to prevent programs from automatically adding themselves to my startup list?

What is pagefile usage?

Pagefile usage refers to the amount of virtual memory, also known as the pagefile or swap file, that is currently being utilized by a computer's operating system. This virtual memory is used to supplement physical RAM when it becomes full, allowing the computer to continue running smoothly.

Why is pagefile usage increasing?

Pagefile usage may be increasing due to a number of factors, such as having too many programs running at once, large file sizes, or a lack of physical RAM. It can also be a sign of a memory leak or a software issue.

Is high pagefile usage a cause for concern?

In most cases, high pagefile usage is not a cause for concern. It is a normal part of a computer's operation and is designed to prevent crashes or slowdowns when physical RAM is full. However, if pagefile usage is consistently high and causing performance issues, it may be worth investigating further.

How can I reduce pagefile usage?

There are a few ways to reduce pagefile usage, such as closing unnecessary programs or reducing the number of open tabs in a web browser. If pagefile usage is consistently high, it may be worth upgrading to more physical RAM or adjusting virtual memory settings in the computer's control panel.

Can I disable pagefile usage?

While it is possible to disable pagefile usage, it is not recommended as it can cause system instability and crashes. It is an important safety net for the computer's performance and should only be adjusted by experienced users in specific circumstances.