Register to reply

Statics problem

by chart47
Tags: statics
Share this thread:
chart47
Oct25-08, 09:53 PM
P: 1
I know you guys want my attempt at the problem but I'll be honest I'm not even entirely sure as to how to set the problem up. I have a computer problem i need to do. I'm sure i'd be able to figure this out if it weren't for the fact there is a variable which throws me off. I'm not that great at this already. If someone could at least show me the correct direction in which i need to go I'd appreciate it. the figure has been added as an attachment. My guess is I'd take the sum of the moment about A then the sum of the forces about A and B in order to solve for the forces of each member. I don't know how i would even do that being the fact that 'a' is a variable let alone plugging it into microsoft excel from 40in (1m) to 6m. would the force about AC = 0 because C is on wheels? Like i said anything would help?! thanks!

For the loading shown, determine the force in each member of the truss as a function of the dimension 'a,' Plot the force in each member for the 40in <= 'a' <= 6m, while tensile forces plotted as positive and compressive forces as negative.

Again anything would help. Doesn't have to be answer just some sort of direction?!
Attached Thumbnails
6c1.JPG  
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Wildfires and other burns play bigger role in climate change, professor finds
SR Labs research to expose BadUSB next week in Vegas
New study advances 'DNA revolution,' tells butterflies' evolutionary history

Register to reply