Can I study topology without taking multivariable calculus?

In summary: Hallsofivy, quasar987I would say that topology would be a good task to undertake to gain a bit of this experience. Do you both think that topology would be a good task to undertake to gain a bit of this experience?MathwonkYes, topology would be a good task to undertake to gain this experience.
Gramsci
Hello,
I'm wondering, is it possible to study topology without having taken a course in multivariable calculus? I'm very eager to learn and my college don't offer too many math courses this spring (I'm moving to a bigger next fall though), so I'm thinking if I should take topology. I can basically put in unlimited time of study to grasp it.

Magnus

Physics news on Phys.org
Learning topology requires some knowledge of basic set theory, but little more than that.

I would say that the most important "prerequisite" is mathematical maturity which is, basically, the abitility to understand and use specific definitions and to write good proofs.

Last edited by a moderator:
HallsofIvy said:
I would say that the most important "prerequisite" is mathematicaol maturity which is, basically, the abitility to understand and use specific definitions and to write good proofs.

And if you don't have that mathematical maturity, I can't think of a better way to obtain it than to study topology because most "theorems" in point set topology follow trivially from the definitions...

try this topology book for high school students:

First Concepts of Topology; The Geometry of Mappings of Segments, Curves, Circles, and Disks
Chinn, W. G.; Steenrod, N. E.

[30 Day Returns Policy]
Bookseller:
Clausen Books, RMABA
(Colorado Springs, CO, U.S.A.)
Bookseller Rating: Book Price:
US$ 10.00

d_leet
I know basic set theory, so that probably won't be a problem.

Hallsofivy, quasar987

I wouldn't say that I'm mathematically mature in any manner, but I have a will to learn. I've been getting straight As all the way in math, but that probably doesn't show anything. But one day, I hope to have accumulated enough experience to be able to refer to myself as mathematically mature. Do you both think that topology would be a good task to undertake to gain a bit of this experience?

Mathwonk
Thanks, I just bought it. I have to say that you and everyone else (none mentioned, none forgotten) really inspire me. To every homework helper and everyone that gives tips, thanks. Off topic, but I just want it off my chest.

thank you. good luck. you are a wise man.

I don't know if I could call myself a man at age 18, though.

Anyhow, the course book is "Principles of mathematical analysis" aka "Baby Rudin". How is it? Are there any special prerequisites for it except the ones mentioned above?

this book is an excellent source of correct information, but a poor source of explanation of that material for most students, being overly terse. i.e. the author is a good analyst but a poor pedagogue.

Is there any book that I could use as a supplement to it?

as a young instructor i found the books of george simmons much more readable.

Introduction to Topology and Modern Analysis International Series in Pure and Applied Mathematics
Simmons, George F

[30 Day Returns Policy]
Bookseller:
Cellar Stories Bookstore
(Providence, RI, U.S.A.)
Bookseller Rating: Book Price:
US$ 10.00

What is topology?

Topology is a branch of mathematics that studies the properties of geometric figures and spaces that are unaffected by transformations such as stretching or bending.

What are the prerequisites for studying topology?

The main prerequisites for studying topology are a strong understanding of calculus, linear algebra, and set theory. A background in abstract algebra and analysis can also be helpful.

Why is topology important?

Topology is a fundamental concept in mathematics and has applications in many areas, including physics, computer science, and engineering. It helps us understand the structure and properties of objects and spaces, and how they can be transformed without changing their essential characteristics.

What are some common applications of topology?

Topology has many applications in real-world problems, such as in the study of networks, data analysis, and optimization. It is also used in fields like robotics, computer graphics, and medical imaging to model and analyze complex systems and shapes.

Is topology a difficult subject to learn?

Topology can be a challenging subject for some due to its abstract nature. However, with a solid foundation in the prerequisites and a strong grasp of the fundamental concepts, it can be a rewarding and fascinating field of study.