Friction problem involving 2 blocks sliding in 2 directions with 2 frictions

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving two blocks of different masses on a horizontal surface with a coefficient of friction of 0.25. The goal is to determine the minimum force needed to prevent the smaller block from slipping down. The equations F=(A+B)a, Ag=fs, N=Ba, and Ag=\muBa are used to attempt a solution, but the horizontal coefficient of friction is not accounted for. The conversation then moves on to discussing how to incorporate this into the solution.
2FAST4U8

Homework Statement

http://streetrodjohn.home.comcast.net/~streetrodjohn/physics.jpg

A 1-kg block is pushed against a 4-kg block on a horizontal surface of coefficient of friction 0.25, as shown in the figure. Determine the minimum force needed to ensure that the 1-kg block does not slip down. Assume that the coefficient of friction at the interface between the block is 0.4. Hint: The two blocks exert equal and opposite forces on each other.

Homework Equations

F=(A+B)a
Ag=fs
N=Ba
Ag=[tex]\mu[/tex]Ba

The Attempt at a Solution

In class we have done similar problems, only with a frictionless horizontal surface. I don't know how to account for the horizontal coefficient of friction of .25 in this problem. Using the above equations and ignoring the horizontal coefficient of friction, I get this:

a=(Ag)/([tex]\mu[/tex]B

F=(((A+B)Ag)/([tex]\mu[/tex]B))

F=(((4+1)(1)(9.8))/((.4)(4)))

F=30.62N

Now how do I account for the horizontal coefficient of friction of .25? Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
2FAST4U8 said:

Homework Statement

http://streetrodjohn.home.comcast.net/~streetrodjohn/physics.jpg

A 1-kg block is pushed against a 4-kg block on a horizontal surface of coefficient of friction 0.25, as shown in the figure. Determine the minimum force needed to ensure that the 1-kg block does not slip down. Assume that the coefficient of friction at the interface between the block is 0.4. Hint: The two blocks exert equal and opposite forces on each other.

Homework Equations

F=(A+B)a
Ag=fs
N=Ba
Ag=[tex]\mu[/tex]Ba

The Attempt at a Solution

In class we have done similar problems, only with a frictionless horizontal surface. I don't know how to account for the horizontal coefficient of friction of .25 in this problem. Using the above equations and ignoring the horizontal coefficient of friction, I get this:

a=(Ag)/([tex]\mu[/tex]B

F=(((A+B)Ag)/([tex]\mu[/tex]B))

F=(((4+1)(1)(9.8))/((.4)(4)))

F=30.62N

Now how do I account for the horizontal coefficient of friction of .25? Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.

Well, examining block one, we notice that we want [tex]\sum\vec{F}=m\vec{a}=0=\vec{F}_f+\vec{F}_g\rightarrow\vec{F}_f=-\vec{F}_g[/tex]. From this, we can examine the frictional force, specifically:

[tex]\vec{F}_f=\mu_i\vec{N}\rightarrow m\vec{g}/\mu_i=\vec{N}[/tex].

What next? :)

Last edited by a moderator:

I would approach this problem by first understanding the physical principles involved. In this case, we are dealing with two blocks on a horizontal surface, where friction is present in both the horizontal and vertical directions. The key to solving this problem is to recognize that the two blocks are exerting equal and opposite forces on each other, and that these forces must be balanced in order for the 1-kg block to not slip down.

To account for the horizontal coefficient of friction, we need to consider the forces acting on the 1-kg block in the horizontal direction. These include the force of friction from the 4-kg block pushing against it, as well as any external forces pushing or pulling on the block. Let's call this external force F_ext.

In order for the 1-kg block to not slip down, the net force in the horizontal direction must be zero. This means that the force of friction from the 4-kg block (0.25*4*g) must be balanced by the external force, F_ext. In other words:

F_ext = 0.25*4*g = 9.8N

So, the minimum force needed to ensure that the 1-kg block does not slip down is 9.8N. This means that any external force greater than 9.8N will be enough to prevent the block from slipping down. We can also use this information to calculate the minimum force needed to overcome the horizontal coefficient of friction and move the block horizontally. This would simply be the force of friction (0.25*4*g) plus the minimum force needed to prevent slipping (9.8N), giving us a total of 19.6N.

In summary, to solve this problem we need to consider the forces acting on the 1-kg block in both the horizontal and vertical directions, and ensure that these forces are balanced in order to prevent slipping. By taking into account the horizontal coefficient of friction, we can determine the minimum force needed to prevent slipping and the minimum force needed to move the block horizontally.

What is friction?

Friction is a force that resists motion between two surfaces that are in contact with each other.

How does friction affect the movement of two blocks sliding in different directions?

Friction can cause the blocks to slow down or stop their movement, depending on the strength of the force and the weight of the blocks.

What factors affect the amount of friction between two blocks?

The amount of friction between two blocks depends on the type of surfaces and the force pressing the surfaces together.

How can the friction problem involving two blocks be solved?

The problem can be solved by using the laws of friction and Newton's laws of motion to calculate the net force and acceleration of the blocks.

What are some real-world applications of studying friction problems involving two blocks?

Understanding friction between surfaces is important in many industries such as transportation, manufacturing, and sports. It also helps in designing and improving machines and devices that require smooth movement.