Friction problem involving 2 blocks sliding in 2 directions with 2 frictions

by 2FAST4U8
Tags: force, friction, newtons law
Share this thread:
2FAST4U8
Nov9-08, 09:24 PM
P: 1
1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A 1-kg block is pushed against a 4-kg block on a horizontal surface of coefficient of friction 0.25, as shown in the figure. Determine the minimum force needed to ensure that the 1-kg block does not slip down. Assume that the coefficient of friction at the interface between the block is 0.4. Hint: The two blocks exert equal and opposite forces on each other.

2. Relevant equations

F=(A+B)a
Ag=fs
N=Ba
Ag=[tex]\mu[/tex]Ba

3. The attempt at a solution

In class we have done similiar problems, only with a frictionless horizontal surface. I don't know how to account for the horizontal coefficient of friction of .25 in this problem. Using the above equations and ignoring the horizontal coefficient of friction, I get this:

a=(Ag)/([tex]\mu[/tex]B

F=(((A+B)Ag)/([tex]\mu[/tex]B))

F=(((4+1)(1)(9.8))/((.4)(4)))

F=30.62N

Now how do I account for the horizontal coefficient of friction of .25? Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Experts defend operational earthquake forecasting, counter critiques
EU urged to convert TV frequencies to mobile broadband
Sierra Nevada freshwater runoff could drop 26 percent by 2100
asleight
Nov9-08, 09:32 PM
P: 154
Quote Quote by 2FAST4U8 View Post
1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A 1-kg block is pushed against a 4-kg block on a horizontal surface of coefficient of friction 0.25, as shown in the figure. Determine the minimum force needed to ensure that the 1-kg block does not slip down. Assume that the coefficient of friction at the interface between the block is 0.4. Hint: The two blocks exert equal and opposite forces on each other.

2. Relevant equations

F=(A+B)a
Ag=fs
N=Ba
Ag=[tex]\mu[/tex]Ba

3. The attempt at a solution

In class we have done similiar problems, only with a frictionless horizontal surface. I don't know how to account for the horizontal coefficient of friction of .25 in this problem. Using the above equations and ignoring the horizontal coefficient of friction, I get this:

a=(Ag)/([tex]\mu[/tex]B

F=(((A+B)Ag)/([tex]\mu[/tex]B))

F=(((4+1)(1)(9.8))/((.4)(4)))

F=30.62N

Now how do I account for the horizontal coefficient of friction of .25? Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.
Well, examining block one, we notice that we want [tex]\sum\vec{F}=m\vec{a}=0=\vec{F}_f+\vec{F}_g\rightarrow\vec{F}_f=-\vec{F}_g[/tex]. From this, we can examine the frictional force, specifically:

[tex]\vec{F}_f=\mu_i\vec{N}\rightarrow m\vec{g}/\mu_i=\vec{N}[/tex].

What next? :)

Register to reply