Person-jumping-out-of-a-moving-boat problem

• Thread starter redshift
  • Start date
In summary, a person weighing 50kg jumps out of a 400kg boat traveling east at 3.0 m/s. The boat's velocity, as seen by the person, is 4.5 m/s after the jump. Using conservation of momentum and relative velocity equations, it can be determined that the boat's velocity relative to the water surface just after the jump is 1.5 m/s.
redshift
I'd appreciate a hint on how to start this one.

"A person weighing 50kg is riding in a 400kg boat heading due east at 3.0 m/s. The person jumps horizontally out of the boat in the other direction (i.e., westward). Just after he jumps, the velocity of the boat as seen from the person is 4.5 m/s. Determine the velocity of the boat relative to the water surface just after he jumps."

I assume the water is motionless. This seems like another conservation of momentum problem. The initial momentum of the boat with the person riding it is 1,350 kgms. Would this equal the difference between the man's momentum after jumping and the boat's momentum after he jumped?

Physics news on Phys.org
You're right that this is a conservation of momentum problem. It also has to do with relative velocity.

Using P for person, B for boat, you should be able to write a conservation of momentum equation, where the total momentum before the jump equals the total momentum after the jump:

[tex]1350 = 50v_P + 400v_B[/tex]

Recognize [itex]v_P[/itex] and [itex]v_B[/itex] are the velocities after the jump relative to the still water. Also keep in mind that it should come out that [itex]v_P[/itex] is negative if [itex]v_B[/itex] is positive, since they are in opposite directions.

You're given the velocity of the boat with respect to the person, [itex]v_{B/P}[/itex]. This is how I always remember the relationship between relative velocities:

[tex]v_B=v_P+v_{B/P}[/tex]

With this you should have enough information with which to solve for both [itex]v_B[/itex] and [itex]v_P[/itex].

Glad to know i started off right. The relative velocity equation was what i tripped up on. Many thanks.

Remembering relative velocity in that way has saved me many headaches. For me, it's just easier to remember one catchall than to reason out a relationship for each problem. This relative velocity expression can be expressed even more generally in vector form:

[tex]\vec{v}_B=\vec{v}_A+\vec{v}_{B/A}[/tex]

Where you can make B and A represent anything.

1. What is the "Person-jumping-out-of-a-moving-boat problem"?

The "Person-jumping-out-of-a-moving-boat problem" is a thought experiment that challenges our understanding of motion and inertia. It involves a hypothetical scenario where a person jumps out of a boat that is moving at a constant velocity.

2. What happens to the boat when the person jumps out?

According to Newton's first law of motion, the boat will continue to move at the same velocity and direction, as there is no external force acting on it. However, the boat will experience a slight decrease in speed due to the loss of mass from the person jumping out.

3. Will the person continue to move at the same velocity as the boat after jumping out?

No, the person will experience a change in velocity due to the action of jumping out of the boat. They will continue to move in the direction of the boat's original velocity but at a slower speed, as they are no longer propelled by the boat's motion.

4. Can the person's jump affect the boat's trajectory?

Yes, the person's jump can potentially affect the boat's trajectory if the person exerts a force on the boat while jumping out. This force could cause the boat to change direction or speed. However, if the person jumps directly upwards and does not push off the boat, the boat's trajectory will remain unchanged.

5. How does the person-jumping-out-of-a-moving-boat problem relate to real-life situations?

The thought experiment highlights the principles of Newton's laws of motion and can be applied to real-life scenarios such as the conservation of momentum in physics or the importance of wearing a life jacket when jumping out of a moving boat to reduce the risk of injury. It also demonstrates the concept of relative motion, where an object's motion can only be described in relation to another object's motion.