CHEM: Triple point Temp and Pressure

In summary, the goal is to calculate the temperature and pressure at the triple point for uranium hexafluoride with a molecular weight of 352.02. Two equations, lnp(solid) and lnp(liquid), are provided and the attempt at a solution involved using P=1 atm and solving for temperature in one equation, then using that temperature in the other equation. However, it was not successful and the relationship between the two equations and the triple point is still unclear.
ktmtalker

Homework Statement

I need to calculate the temperature and pressure at the triple point. natural log of pressure of the liquid/solid: lnp(solid)= 29.411-(5893.5K/T) lnp(liquid)=22.254-(3479.9K/T). The compound is uranium hexafluoride, MW= 352.02. I do not believe the actual molecule matters to much, just the weight. pressure is in Pa.

Homework Equations

lnp(solid)= 29.411-(5893.5K/T)
lnp(liquid)=22.254-(3479.9K/T)

The Attempt at a Solution

3. The Attempt at a Solution
I used P= 1 atm -->101.325kPa, and using the lnp(solid) equation determined a temperature. I then used that same temp in the lnp(liquid) to solve the other lnp equation. It did not go well. I am unsure on how to relate these two equations to the triple point. I should be able to grind through the math when I know how to relate it all.

Physics news on Phys.org
ktmtalker said:
I used P= 1 atm -->101.325kPa, and using the lnp(solid) equation determined a temperature. I then used that same temp in the lnp(liquid) to solve the other lnp equation. It did not go well. I am unsure on how to relate these two equations to the triple point. I should be able to grind through the math when I know how to relate it all.
When one "assumes" one atmosphere, one makes a big mistake. You have two equations. Do they intersect? What is the relationship of that intersection to the triple-point?

1. What is a triple point in chemistry?

A triple point is the temperature and pressure at which a substance exists in equilibrium as a solid, liquid, and gas. At this point, all three phases of a substance can coexist in a stable state.

2. How is the triple point temperature and pressure determined?

The triple point temperature and pressure of a substance can be determined through experimentation and observation. This involves gradually changing the temperature and pressure of the substance until all three phases are in equilibrium.

3. Why is the triple point important in chemistry?

The triple point is important because it is a unique and specific set of conditions where a substance can exist in all three phases at once. It is also used as a reference point for defining temperature and pressure scales.

4. What factors can affect the triple point of a substance?

The triple point of a substance can be affected by external factors such as pressure, temperature, and impurities. Changes in these factors can shift the triple point and affect the stability of the substance in its different phases.

5. Can the triple point of a substance change?

Yes, the triple point of a substance can change if the external factors that affect it are altered. For example, increasing the pressure on a substance can raise its triple point temperature, while decreasing the pressure can lower it.