Register to reply

Derivative of e^(-1/x^2)

by roz77
Tags: derivative, e1 or x2
Share this thread:
roz77
Nov18-08, 08:14 PM
P: 16
So I know how to take the general derivative of this equation. It's a simple product rule. I have that. My problem is, I need to show that the derivative at x=0 is 0. I know that I'm supposed to use this equation.

f'(x)= lim x->0 of [f(x+h)-f(x)]/h

So I plug in x+h and I get:

[(e^(-1/(x+h)^2))-(e^(-1/x^2))]/h

My problem is, I have no idea how to simplify that. I know that I need to get rid of the denominator, but I'm not sure how I can do that. Suggestions?
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Wildfires and other burns play bigger role in climate change, professor finds
SR Labs research to expose BadUSB next week in Vegas
New study advances 'DNA revolution,' tells butterflies' evolutionary history
-Vitaly-
Nov18-08, 08:40 PM
P: 39
roz77
Nov18-08, 09:55 PM
P: 16
Thanks. That worked perfectly.

I actually have another question now. I need to find a Taylor series for x^(1/2) about a general center c=a^2. I've been taking derivatives and trying to find a pattern. I seem to be on the verge of it but I just can quite get it. Anyone know what the formula for the kth derivative of f(x) might be?

Dick
Nov18-08, 10:28 PM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
Thanks
P: 25,243
Derivative of e^(-1/x^2)

f(x)=(x-a^2)^(1/2)? It involves a double factorial. n!!=1*3*5*...*(n-2)*n, for n odd.
Jaekryl
Oct29-09, 03:15 PM
P: 1
Quote Quote by -Vitaly- View Post
This is a great solution, except for one logical error. In your case of the ea expansion, a = 1/x2 as x -> 0.
Therefore, a is in fact approaching infinity. So you cannot assume that the ea expansion is equivalent to 1 + a + a2/2 since a is not small.

Instead, just substitute in the entire ea expansion, then take the limit, and you will see that the denominator will equal 0 + 0 + ∞ + ∞ + ...
Therefore the limit is still 2/∞ = 0.
-Vitaly-
Oct29-09, 04:30 PM
P: 39
Quote Quote by Jaekryl View Post
This is a great solution, except for one logical error. In your case of the ea expansion, a = 1/x2 as x -> 0.
Therefore, a is in fact approaching infinity. So you cannot assume that the ea expansion is equivalent to 1 + a + a2/2 since a is not small.

Instead, just substitute in the entire ea expansion, then take the limit, and you will see that the denominator will equal 0 + 0 + ∞ + ∞ + ...
Therefore the limit is still 2/∞ = 0.
Oh dear, I completely missed that part :( so no need to expand the exponential at all. Because exponentials increase a lot faster than polynomials decrease. So by inspection e^(x^(-2))*x^3 -> infinity , when x->0
Thanks
p.s. L'Hopital's rule will not work is this case as well , :( as it requires (infinity/infinity) or (zero/zero) limit.

Register to reply