integral with legendre generating function

by buffordboy23
Tags: function, generating, integral, legendre
buffordboy23
Nov19-08, 12:58 PM
P: 540
1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Use the Legendre generating function to show that for A > 1,

[tex] \int^{\pi}_{0} \frac{\left(Acos\theta + 1\right)sin\thetad\theta}{\left(A^{2}+2Acos\theta+1\right)^{1/2}} = \frac{4}{3A} [/tex]

2. Relevant equations

The Legendre generating function

[tex] \phi\left(-cos\theta,A\right) = \left(A^{2}+2Acos\theta+1\right)^{-1/2}} = \sum^{\infty}_{n=0}P_{n}\left(-cos\theta\right)A^{n}[/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution

Pretty much clueless, and the book makes no mention of anything else. I know that with these parameters the series should be convergent for |A| < 1, and that the interval now runs from [-pi, pi]. The only thing on the internet that I could find that deals with with integrals of Legendre functions is for orthogonality, which doesn't seem to apply here.
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Scientists pinpoint when harmless bacteria became flesh-eating monsters
Asian air pollution affect Pacific Ocean storms
Rocket leak delays space station delivery launch (Update)
Pere Callahan
Nov19-08, 01:18 PM
P: 588
Quote Quote by buffordboy23 View Post
1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Use the Legendre generating function to show that for A > 1,

[tex] \int^{\pi}_{0} \frac{\left(Acos\theta + 1\right)sin\thetad\theta}{\left(A^{2}+2Acos\theta+1\right)^{1/2}} = \frac{4}{3A} [/tex]
Using the trick the integral becomes

[tex]
/int_0^\pi{\left(A\cos\theta+1\right)\sin\theta\sum_{n=0}^\infty{P_n(-\cos\theta)A^n}}
[/tex]

I suggest you are courageous and interchange the integration and summation (or maybe you can argue that this is allowed in our case?) then you expand [itex]A\cos\theta +1[/itex] in terms of Legendre functions. You should then be able to use some orthoganality property.
buffordboy23
Dec4-08, 09:15 PM
I'm still stuck with this problem. Here is my work.

Let [tex] x = -cos\theta \rightarrow d\theta = dx/sin\theta [/tex]. Substitution gives

[tex] \int^{1}_{-1} \frac{\left(1-Ax\right)dx}{\left(A^{2}-2Ax+1\right)^{1/2}} = \int^{1}_{-1} \left(\sum^{\infty}_{k=0}P_{k}\left(x\right)A^{k}\right)\left[1-Ax\right]dx = \int^{1}_{-1} \left(\sum^{\infty}_{k=0}P_{k}\left(x\right)A^{k}\right)\left[P_{0}\left(x\right)-P_{1}\left(x\right)A\right]dx = \int^{1}_{-1} \left(P_{0}\left(x\right)^{2}-P_{1}\left(x\right)^{2}A^{2}\right)dx [/tex]

where the last equation exploited orthogonality. Yet,

[tex] \int^{1}_{-1} \left(P_{0}\left(x\right)^{2}-P_{1}\left(x\right)^{2}A^{2}\right)dx = 2 - \frac{2A^{2}}{3}[/tex]

and is not the answer. What am I missing?

I know that the legendre generating function requires |A|<1, but this problem says A>1. This implies that the series is divergent, but does that necessarily matter in this context?

gabbagabbahey
Dec4-08, 09:37 PM
HW Helper
P: 5,004

integral with legendre generating function

Quote Quote by buffordboy23 View Post
Use the Legendre generating function to show that for A > 1

The Legendre generating function

[tex] \phi\left(-cos\theta,A\right) = \left(A^{2}+2Acos\theta+1\right)^{-1/2}} = \sum^{\infty}_{n=0}P_{n}\left(-cos\theta\right)A^{n}[/tex]

.... I know that with these parameters the series should be convergent for |A| < 1
For A>1, this is not the generating function.

Hint: if A>1, then 1/A<1
buffordboy23
Dec4-08, 10:01 PM
Here we go.

[tex]
\int^{1}_{-1} \frac{\left(1-Ax\right)dx}{\left(A^{2}-2Ax+1\right)^{1/2}} = \int^{1}_{-1} \frac{\left(1/A-x\right)dx}{\left(1-2x/A+1/A^{2}\right)^{1/2}} =\int^{1}_{-1} \left(\sum^{\infty}_{k=0}P_{k}\left(x\right)A^{-k}\right)\left[1/A-x\right]dx = \int^{1}_{-1} \left(\sum^{\infty}_{k=0}P_{k}\left(x\right)A^{-k}\right)\left[P_{0}\left(x\right)/A-P_{1}\left(x\right)\right]dx [/tex]

[tex] = \int^{1}_{-1} \left(\frac{P_{0}\left(x\right)^{2}}{A}-\frac{P_{1}\left(x\right)^{2}}{A}\right)dx =
\frac{1}{A}\int^{1}_{-1} \left(1-x^{2}\right)dx =
\frac{4}{3A}
[/tex]

Thanks.

Register to reply