Understanding He Closed Cycle Cryos and Vibration Damping

In summary, the Stirling cycle cryo-cooler uses a piston in the head to vibrate and produce cooling power. Newer pulse tube coolers don't vibrate, but don't get as cold or have as much cooling power.
Rajini
Hi All,
I need some basic info of He closed cycle cryos..(like working principle, etc)..
I have a compressor, which compress He gas and passed into a cryo's coldhead. So He gas expands in side the coldhead and cools the coldhead..then it again passes into compressor..so the cycle repeats..
I just want to know why and how vibrations are produced in such cryo (i.e., in coldhead) ?
[The compressor and coldhead are connected via tube, so i think vibrations are not from compressor!]
Is there any clever way to damp these vibrations ??
If i am correct there are no moving parts in coldhead !?
Does any have some schematic sketch of coldhead or cross section of a coldhead..i searched the internet..but dint get any idea! or what is inside coldhead..
thanks for your help
Rajini.

Physics news on Phys.org
Stirling cycle and griffen-mcmahon coolers have a piston in the head and vibrate. Newer pulse tube cryo-coolers don't vibrate but don't get as cold or have as much cooling power (or at least didn't 10years ago - don't know about now).

To avoid vibration all you can do is some clever mechanical design with lots of balanced springs - I was trying to find a picture of some of the cameras on UKIRT (uk ir telescope) they are works of suspension art.

The main problem has always been vibrations from the compressor. The simplest way to avoid this is to have the compressor located as far as possible from the cryostat and to connect the two using tubes that do not transmit vibrations well, Where I work we generally try to keep the compressors in another room if possible (in one case it is actually in a room on the other side of the corridor).

The second problem has been electrical noise from the pumps. Grounding etc is very tricky but some of the manufacturers claim to have solved that problem in the latest generations of dry (dry=cryogen free) fridges; at a conference a few months ago I even saw a dry dilution fridge with a turbo mounted on top of the fridge (I think it was the VeriCold design now sold by Oxford Instruments); the manufacturer claimed that there shouldn't be any problems with either mechanical nor electrical noise (although I am not sure I believe them).

Note that single stage coolers are a mature technology now, if you only want to reach temperatures of about 20K or so vibrations should not be an issue. It gets a bit trickier with two-stage coolers that can reach 4K and sub-1K fridges (He3 and dilution fridges).

Hi thanks for all the replies..
Compressor is no problem..it makes very less vibrations..but it produces a bit of sound...in any case the vibration produced by compressor will not be transferred to coldhead (coldhead and compressor are connected by flexible tubes, which are very poor in transmitting the vibrations produced from compressor)...
But when each time He gas is compressed and injected into coldhead..it makes vibrations inside coldhead..I just want to damp it...is it possible,,,another problem is..my sample is fixed to coldstage, which is fixed tightly to coldhead...so the vibration from coldhead can easily transfer to cold state and then to sample..
I searched a lot of scientific paper...but all are different..for e.g., Sample is not directly fixed to cold stage but it is hanging inside..heat transfer is only be exchange gas (He gas)..
Rajini

1. What is a closed cycle cryo system?

A closed cycle cryo system is a type of cryogenic cooling system that uses a closed loop to circulate a cryogenic fluid, such as liquid nitrogen or helium, to cool a device or material. This allows for precise and continuous cooling without the need for refilling or venting the cryogenic fluid.

2. What is the purpose of vibration damping in a closed cycle cryo system?

Vibration damping is used in closed cycle cryo systems to reduce or eliminate any vibrations caused by the circulation of the cryogenic fluid. This is important because vibrations can affect the accuracy and stability of the system, as well as potentially damage sensitive components.

3. How does a closed cycle cryo system achieve vibration damping?

Closed cycle cryo systems typically use a combination of techniques to achieve vibration damping. These can include using flexible tubing and fittings, incorporating vibration-isolating materials, and implementing active vibration control systems.

4. What are the benefits of using a closed cycle cryo system for cooling?

Closed cycle cryo systems offer several advantages over open cycle systems, including more precise and stable cooling, reduced risk of contamination, and lower operating costs due to the ability to reuse cryogenic fluids. They are also more environmentally friendly as they do not release cryogenic gases into the atmosphere.

5. What are some common applications of closed cycle cryo systems?

Closed cycle cryo systems are commonly used in scientific research, particularly in fields such as physics, chemistry, and materials science. They are also used in industries such as aerospace, electronics, and medical technology for cooling and testing various materials and components.